Question

Honor Student
rwoodmansee
Message 1 of 5 (4,673 Views)

Locking the function keys

Is there a way to 'lock' the 'fn' key so that the default action on the function keys is the secondary action.  ie. on my ProBook 4720s, my media keys, volume, play, etc, require me to hold down the 'fn' key, which is a pain because i use them all the time.  Can i configure the keyboard so that those options are the default?

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 5 (4,666 Views)

Re: Locking the function keys

Here is the document, that will help you with it... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02035108&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Honor Student
rwoodmansee
Message 3 of 5 (4,664 Views)

i looked at that document and the ProBook 4720s doesn't seem that have that functionality in the BIOS.

Student
Phil1801
Message 4 of 5 (4,417 Views)

I just bought a new probook 4530s and the BIOS also lacks this configuration element.

I tried various combination of the fn key with ctrl, shift and alt. Nothing would do.

Anybody (preferably HP) would know how to enable/disable FN keys lock?

Thank you! 

Student
timetraveler091
Message 5 of 5 (4,349 Views)

[ Edited ]
<script type="text/javascript" src="chrome://YouLoop/content/YouLoop_script.js"></script>

Have owned the ProBook4530s for five weeks now. Want to solve this "issue" too. I consistently use the fn+f keys and honestly, every time I use it I would wish there was a way to enable the fn key forever. You can call it being downright lazy, but I call it being EFFICIENT.

Bought a g6 for my girlfriend a week ago and that HP has an option to enable and disable not needing to hold the fn key. Learned it quick after playing around with the book for a bit.

-----

After researching the whole night for the answer, I have come to believe there is no solution.

Or is there....?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation