Question

Honor Student
rich.forbes
Message 1 of 6 (2,032 Views)

Microcode failure - Update Bios - contact HP - Can't re-install XP

Hi all, I'm rebuilding a HP Pavilion Desktop a1000a. All I had to do was add a PSU, Intel 2.66GHz processor and hard disk. These items all worked fine in another PC. One compatibility problem I had was the Psu is 20 pin and M/B 24 pin. After some research I was told it will work and to insert the PSU plug into the M/B on the right hand side of the plug leaving 4 plugs free on the left. I will use on board graphics - there is no PCIe graphics slot.

I booted up to install XP Pro and an error appeared in the post..."Microcode Failure...update bios...call HP" I contacted HP and they really didn't want to know except to say I couldn't update bios unless I had a functional O/S. I thought I could do it with USB flash drive or CD..."No" was the answer.

I F2'd to continue out of boot and access CD. Install worked fine right through the process but when reboot time came around I got the BSOD. I've gone through the whole process about 7 times with the same result. Could the fact that I'm not connecting to the M/B with 24 pin power lead be the trouble? It's happened with 3 different hard drives (2 x IDE and 1 x SATA)...every thing happens exactly the same from Microcode failure to BSOD. I could buy a 24 pin PSU but if this isn't the problem it's a waste of money and I don't have access to one to try from another source. I'd really appreciate any input as I'm about to spit the dummy.

Regards :smileymad:

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 6 (2,016 Views)

Re: Microcode failure - Update Bios - contact HP - Can't re-install XP

The microcode error is the bios update being needed and since you were unable to flash the bios you may have flashed it incorrectly which will render the pc useless. Unless you can resurrect the bios. You might try a 24-pin power supply and if it does not help you can return it.
Honor Student
rich.forbes
Message 3 of 6 (2,007 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I wish I could update the bios from a floppy / CD and fix it. I'm in a little country town in Queensland OZ and there is only one place I can get a PSU. I asked the guy if I could try one and bring it back if it doesn't solve the problem = NO! (thanks mate)

I don't know the history of this M/B and case. It was given to me because my M/B crashed and as it was socket 775 I thought it would be OK.

Can't understand why XP will install...all files write to disk.. right through setup but when it comes time to re-boot to HDD...SPLAT!

Honor Student
rich.forbes
Message 4 of 6 (1,983 Views)

I had a brainwave! Could I rebuild my Windows XP installation CD with NLite and incorporate the latest HP bios update .exe file into it?

I once had a bios issue with a notebook where it wouldn't recognise SATA drives. I NLited the files into XP disk and it worked loke a dream.

Any thoughts chaps?

Professor
1badGuard
Message 5 of 6 (1,981 Views)

I say go for it.
Student
themos_hp
Message 6 of 6 (543 Views)

I love HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation