Monitor keeps going to sleep (9574 Views)
Top Student
vitolaterza
Message 1 of 23 (9,574 Views)
Accepted Solution

Monitor keeps going to sleep

[ Edited ]

Hello there

I have a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-063uk Desktop PC, product number: VG251AA, serial number {Content Removed}, with Windows 7, my monitor keeps going to sleep and a message saying VGA NO SIGNAL comes up. The only way to awake it is by switching the pc off at the power button (the F2 or "half moon" button should awake it but does not) .

I have checked everything from the "Save Power settings (which is on off)" to Screen Saver (off as well) and done anything what I can find on the HP help and support, troubleshooting problems, testing this and that, even connected a different monitor and restored it to an earlier date, but I cannot solve the problem. 

Please can you help. Thank you.

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 2 of 23 (9,533 Views)

Re: Monitor keeps going to sleep

Hi vitolaterza,

Are you getting the no VGA signal after the computer goes to sleep? If so this is normal.

Turn off all sleep mode options; make sure everything is set to never sleep.

Check the cables on the back, you only need one video cable going to the monitor.  Also go to hp.com and download the latest BIOS and Graphics driver.

Here is a link to download the drivers.

Let me know if this helps.

Top Student
vitolaterza
Message 3 of 23 (9,517 Views)

Thanks for your support,
I have downloaded the latest BIOS and Graphic driver as you suggested, now is just a matter of wait and see if the problem is solved.
I will post a new reply in a couple of days and let you know.

Thanks again

Vito
Top Student
vitolaterza
Message 4 of 23 (9,495 Views)

Hi

My PC monitor has not gone to sleep since downloading the latest updates as suggested by yourself.

Thank you :smileyhappy:
Top Student
kebmo
Message 5 of 23 (8,839 Views)

I have an HP w2207h monitor.  When I boot up my PC, I briefly see a VGA message, and before I can do anything, I see a message telling me that the monitor is going to sleep.  It doesn't give me any opportunity to adjust anything, it goes to sleep within 10 seconds.

Top Student
kebmo
Message 6 of 23 (8,837 Views)

Sorry, forgot to mention that the OS is Windows Vista 64.  

Top Student
vitolaterza
Message 7 of 23 (8,834 Views)

Guys my pc still has the same problem, I spoke to someone who repairs computers and said that it is more likely that there is something wrong with the video card ( getting too hot ) as the problem occurs mainly when playing videos or music.
Top Student
kebmo
Message 8 of 23 (8,830 Views)

My issue occurs at boot up.  That's as far as I get.  Nothing happens.  A message says no VGA input and no HDMI input. that message goes away and another comes on and tells me that the "monitor is going to sleep".  I can't get past that point.  My monitor has two cables (plus the power cable).  a 16-pin and a USB.  I have them both plugged in to the PC.  Should I remove one of them, and if so, which one?

Top Student
vitolaterza
Message 9 of 23 (8,827 Views)

I am no expert pal, but try by unplugging the usb cable, on the pc's that I have had they have always come with only the 16 pins ones .
Also if you have another monitor handy, try it and see what happens.
Obviously if the problem is still there, then the cause is not the monitor.
Top Student
kebmo
Message 10 of 23 (8,826 Views)

Thanks.  I don't have a spare monitor (I sold it).  I came here so an "expert" could answer my question (no offense, please).  I guess the experts take weekends off too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation