Question

Top Student
MrHandyJay
Message 1 of 6 (3,956 Views)
Accepted Solution

My HP DC7100 won't start, flashing red light 5 times?

[ Edited ]

My HP-DC7100 won't start up and it when I turn it on it flashes the red light 5 times, I looked it up and it apparently meant that it was a memory error, now I thought that was kind of weird because the RAM's were working just fine before this incident. Although this was straight after I done something, the case wasn't on properly and I pushed it into place and then the screen went fuzzy and it automatically turned off. Then I tried to start it up and now it flashes red 5 times, and I haven't even installed any additional rams, these are the RAM's that came with it. Please help!

Anyone??

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 6 (3,925 Views)

Re: My HP DC7100 won't start, flashing red light 5 times?

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Remove and reseat all of your memory modules.

If it still flashes, remove all but one and test one at a time and keep adding memory, until it goes haywire again.

Then you found the bad memory chip.

Make sure you unplug the PC each time you mess with the memory chips.

I also suggest you make sure your new video card was properly secured and everything else is in place.

Paul

Top Student
MrHandyJay
Message 3 of 6 (3,921 Views)

Yep i've done all of that, nothing of it works though. Still flashing red light beeps.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 6 (3,916 Views)

Try clearing the CMOS and see if that helps.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00189283/c00189283.pdf

See pages B-3 and B-4.

It is possible you wrecked the PC by whatever you did here..."Although this was straight after I done something, the case wasn't on properly, and I pushed it into place and then the screen went fuzzy and it automatically turned off."

That ain't good...

Top Student
MrHandyJay
Message 5 of 6 (3,914 Views)

Nope that didn't work either. Think it's been wrecked or something.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 6 (3,910 Views)

Yes, I'm afraid so.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation