My Internet Explorer stops working everytime I try to open a .pdf link on a web page. (3146 Views)
Student
karyin
Message 1 of 2 (3,146 Views)

My Internet Explorer stops working everytime I try to open a .pdf link on a web page.

Hi. I bought a new HP pavilion h8, 1120a desktop. Each time I try to open a pdf link on a web-site my Internet Explorer stops working with this message: ""A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." And then this message comes up: "Internet has closed this webpage to help protect your computer. A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this web page." When I click on More Information, this message appears: "Windows Data Execution Prevention detected an add-on trying to use system memory incorrectly. This can be caused by a malfunction or a malicious add-on." When I try to follow the instructions on DEP security functions, it doesn't help open pdf files. Can someone please help. I'm not good with tech stuff.. Thanks. - KarYin .

Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Internet Explorer has closed this webpage to help protect your computer A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this webpage. What you can do: Go to your home page<id id="goHomeNoscript">Go to your home page</id> Try to return to vic.gov.au<id id="retryNoscript">Try to return to the page you were viewing</id>

More information

More information<ID id="moreInformation">More information</ID>

Windows Data Execution Prevention detected an add-on trying to use system memory incorrectly. This can be caused by a malfunction or a malicious add-on.

Other things you can do:

Go online to learn about the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) security feature

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 2 (3,136 Views)

Re: My Internet Explorer stops working everytime I try to open a .pdf link on a web page.

Hi,

Download and install the free versions of MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware on the links below.

MBAM

SUPERAntiSpyware

When installed, run full scans with both these utilities - if any malware is detected, remove/quarantine it and run the scan again until both applications come back clean.

Next, reset Internet Explorer as follows - be aware that this will remove Bookmarks and Saved Passwords etc.

Open windows Control Panel, open Internet Options, click the Advanced tab and then click the Reset button.  Click 'Yes' or 'Ok' to any further prompts required to complete the process.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation