Question

Honor Student
campcheryl
Message 1 of 11 (1,975 Views)

NTFS

[ Edited ]

When I start my computer a black screen come up with checking drive C, NTFS. 

checking file system on C:
the type of the system file is NTFS

one of your disk needs to be checked for consistency
you may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue
windows will now

What do I need to do to get this to go away.  When I let it run it just seems to freeze up.  When I press any key before the 10 seconds are up sometimes it allows me to proceed but most time it freezes up and I have to power down and try again.  What is this?

Thanks.

Cheryl

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 11 (1,970 Views)

Does it really freeze? Is the disk I/O activity light flashing? Your PC is running a boot time chkdsk as your hard drive is in a "dirty state".  Get your data backed up.  Did you burn a set of the HP recovery disks?  It takes three DVD+Rs.

When you get to your desktop, bring up the RUN window and enter the following command:

chkntfs /x c:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
campcheryl
Message 3 of 11 (1,963 Views)

Thanks Dave for the quick reply.  I say the computer freezes but I am really not too sure.  I let it try to run and after three hours nothing had changed.  Does it take that long.  Yes I have made my recovery disc and I have back up all my files on an external drive.  I will see if I can do the next step you suggested.  Again, I really appreciate your time and help.

Hugs,

Cheryl

Honor Student
lutherrr
Message 4 of 11 (1,853 Views)

When I start my computer a black screen come up with checking drive C, NTFS. 

checking file system on C:
the type of the system file is NTFS

one of your disk needs to be checked for consistency
you may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue
windows will now

What do I need to do to get this to go away.  When I let it run it just seems to freeze up.  When I press any key before the 10 seconds are up sometimes it allows me to proceed but most time it freezes up and I have to power down and try again.  What is this?

THANKS

Martin

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 5 of 11 (1,828 Views)

Hello lutherrr, This means the operating system has detected some corruption or inconsistency on your hard drive.

All newer Windows operating systems are formatted in the NTFS file system. 

Sometimes this can be corrected easily and other times not so much.

If you have an Operating System disk, you can try a couple different approaches.

The first approach would be to boot from the Operatimg System disk and on a Windows 7 disk, there should be a screen that will allow the operating system to repair itself. If this does not work, and you can get the system to boot to the desktop, you can insert the operating system disk in the optical drive, and let Windows check for any corrupted files.

With the Windows disk in the optical drive, click on Start, Run and enter this text exactly.

sfc /scannow    

This will check all the Windows system files against the original files on the disk. If Windows finds any corrupted, they will be replaced with valid files copied from the disk. Sometimes this works, and other times not.

There are a few more tricks that may help, but you may have more corruption than can be repaired short of a fresh install.

There is a possibility the hard drive is failing, but not likely.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Honor Student
lutherrr
Message 6 of 11 (1,809 Views)

Hello thanks for your support, the problem is that i cant find the disk that came with my computer anymore'' do u have any other idea or alternative please

thanks

martin

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 7 of 11 (1,790 Views)

Hello lutherrr, Since you mentioned you have your files backed up, you my try to perform a Recovery Restore by pressing the F11 key when the system boots and you see this option on the screen.

If you can get this far, choose to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the software.

You will loose all the data on the hard drive and the Recovery software should be reloaded.

That should put your system back as it was when it was shipped from HP.

You can the restore your backed up data from your stored device.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Student
TagieWeaver1234
Message 8 of 11 (824 Views)

Hello to whoever may concern,

My HP desktop computer is kinda frozen. Every time i try to start it up, it goes to a black screen that says "Checking file system on c: , this type of file system is NFTS , one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" what do i do from here ?

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 9 of 11 (817 Views)

Hello TagieWeaver1234,

Your computer will not boot.

Do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

As you power it back on tap the F2 key. This will load hardware diagnostics.
Run the startup test.

This will test all the hardware in the system and detect any problems.

Let me know how everything goes.

Honor Student
brinalynn1973
Message 10 of 11 (725 Views)
When I start my computer a black screen come up with checking drive C, NTFS. checking file system on C: the type of the system file is NTFS

one of your disk needs to be checked for consistency you may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue windows will now check the disk. I set it up to do a chkdsk upon restart as was sugested by someone above . It saysstage 1 pf 5. Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "") from file record segment 73989. Same message is repeated for file record segments 101740, 101744. Then it says 116992 file records processed. File verification processed. File verification completed. 119 large file records processed. Now it has apparently stopped doing anything and still says stage 1 of 5. Can someone please help me? This is an hp laptop.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation