Question

Student
Mitchen
Message 1 of 2 (369 Views)

New machine does not show second hard drive under my computer in Win7

I just received my new computer which has two hard drives installed, both are seagate 1 TB drives.  The bios recognizes both drives, as does Win7 device manager.  When I go to my computer, I only see a C: and D: drive where the C: and D: drive are the recovery partition and primary partition on the primary drive.  What do I need to do to get the other drive to be recognized by windows?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 2 (368 Views)

Re: New machine does not show second hard drive under my computer in Win7

[ Edited ]

Mitchen wrote: I just received my new computer which has two hard drives installed, both are seagate 1 TB drives.  The bios recognizes both drives, as does Win7 device manager.  When I go to my computer, I only see a C: and D: drive where the C: and D: drive are the recovery partition and primary partition on the primary drive.  What do I need to do to get the other drive to be recognized by windows?

Hello Mitchen, It is possible these two hard drives are configured in a Raid0 or a Raid1 array.

If the total size of the C: drive is around 1.8 TBs, then is is configured in a Raid0 array.

If the drives are configured in a Raid1 array, the total size of the C: drive will show as about 931 GBs.

Also, when the system boots, immediately after the HP Logo screen disappears, the Raid drives would show on the screen. You can see how they are configured.

You might also look in the System Information and see if the two hard drives are seen.

Go to the Start Orb, and in the run box, type system and press enter and the System Information window should appear.

When the System Information window appears, click on the Components section, then Storage, then Drives, and it should show all the drives on your system.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation