Question

Top Student
Michael-Turbo
Message 1 of 15 (3,566 Views)
Accepted Solution

No power to my computer

Last night I had to do a hard reboot on my 'Pavilion a 1730 n' due to a freeze up. After shutting it down I waited 10 seconds and attempted to power it back up however the computer did nothing. It responds like it isn't even plugged in.

Any ideas?

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 2 of 15 (3,550 Views)

Re: No power to my computer

Sometimes it is necessary to do a hard reset to erase all of the information in the temporary memory and regain functionality of your PC when it stops responding. For example, doing a hard reset is helpful if your keyboard quits responding, you cannot get your PC to come out of hibernation or sleep mode, or if a software program causes the PC to freeze.
The hard reset will not delete saved files on the hard drive.
Performing a hard reset
To perform a hard reset, follow the steps below.
  1. Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook PC and remove from any port replicator or docking station.
  2. Remove the battery from the notebook battery compartment.
  3. Press and hold down the power button for about 20 seconds.
      NOTE: Holding down the power button while the computer is turned off drains any residual charge in the capacitors.
  4. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook PC.
  5. Press the power button to turn the notebook PC back on.
Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Provost
old_geekster
Message 3 of 15 (3,562 Views)

M-T, I suggest that you check the PSU.  Your computer is old enough that it could have shot craps.  The PSU is the most replaced component in a computer.  They can exhibit many symptoms when failure  is near; simply not powering on is one of them. 

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 4 of 15 (3,481 Views)

geekster, thank you for the response.

I unpluggled everything from the PSU and then plugged the PSU back into my surge protector. The LED light on the PSU came back on so I unplugged the PSU  and one by one started plugging in the components into the PSU. After plugging each on in I'd replug in the PSU. It was when I plugged the motherboard in that the LED went off.

So I guess I can conclude that the motherboard is shot?

I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for it, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Provost
old_geekster
Message 5 of 15 (3,489 Views)

M-T, I am still not convinced that it is not your PSU.  When you plug it into the motherboard, it is drawing full power.  This will make it definitely exhibit the symptoms that you describle.  Of course, in a perfect world, we would all have extra PSU's to do our tests.

Does the fan on the PSU run when you connect it to a hard drive?  Normally, a PSU has to be connected to a component for it to start.  If the fan doesn't run, this is a sign that it is faulty.

HP Split 13 x2

- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Message 6 of 15 (3,388 Views)

geekster, I didn't notice if the fan on the PSU came on or not. I was just going by the green LED light. Tonight when I get home I will unplug the motherboard and leave everything else plugged in and see if the fan comes on.

Should the fan come on immediatly when I plug it in? And If the fan doesn't come on are you saying you think it's the PSU gone bad?

Thanks again!

Provost
old_geekster
Message 7 of 15 (3,390 Views)

M-T, once you push the power button, the fan on the PSU should begin to turn if it is working properly.  If the fan doesn't turn, I believe that the PSU is faulty.  When my last PSU shot craps, the light came on and it would even give the CPU fan a kick, but that is all that happened.

HP Split 13 x2

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Message 8 of 15 (3,374 Views)

Michael-Turbo wrote:

geekster, thank you for the response.

I unpluggled everything from the PSU and then plugged the PSU back into my surge protector. The LED light on the PSU came back on so I unplugged the PSU  and one by one started plugging in the components into the PSU. After plugging each on in I'd replug in the PSU. It was when I plugged the motherboard in that the LED went off.

So I guess I can conclude that the motherboard is shot?

I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for it, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Hi,
It is not wise to troubleshoot a power supply in the way that you did it.
The first thing to do on an OEM HP PSU is to reset it.
That is done by: removing the power plug from the rear of the PSU
Look at the voltage selector switch and note which position it is in (depends on your locale) 115v 60hz or 220v 50 hz
place the voltage selector switch in the opposite position to where it was and then return it to the original position
Now you can replace the power plug  and turn on the pc. Look at the LED at the rear. is it a solid color or is it flashing?
Solid color generally means it is OK ( but might still not be useable).
If it is not lit then you have a few options. 1) buy a cheapie PSU tester (which actually just jumpers a couple of pins on the ATX connector) The tester will not actually tell you if the PSU is good. The name of the device (PSU tester) except for the expensive ones is really an absolute falsehood. The vast majority of the testers do not have the capability of supplying a resistive load that would simulate the load of the CPU.
2) jumper pin 14 (the green wire) to any of the black wires by use of the associated pin on the ATX molex connector. Use insulated wire to do this and not a paper clip. Unplug all of the other connectors before doing this. Now plug in the wall power connector and put the PSU switch in the 1 position. If the PSU is even marginal it will start and the LED will come on.
3) disconnect all peripherals connected to the motherboard (hard drive\DVD drive\all USB devices) and then push the power button on the PC. Do not disconnect the motherboard ATX power connector nor the four or eight pin connector which supplies power to the processor.
Does the CPU fan spin up? If it does that usually means that your motherboard and CPU are OK. (the motherboard has sent an OK signal to the PSU allowing it to turn on) 
A PSU will not supply power to a motherboard unless it is sent an OK signal from the motherboard. 

So...first reset your PSU and begin your test again. You can also try another PSU if you have access to a nown good working unit. A bad PSU will indeed cause you PC to not start and fool you into mistakenly thinking that your motherboard is bad. Always try the PSU first. It is far cheaper to buy a PSU than a motherboard.
Also be aware that a corrupted BIOS ROM file can also cause your PC to not boot up. The CPU fan will run but the PC will not boot into windows nor provide a monitor signal.
post your results here in your thread. 
regards,
erico 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Michael-Turbo
Message 9 of 15 (3,343 Views)

Tried it again last night and the fan didn't budge! I'm going to replace the PSU now and see if that is the problem.

Now I just need to find the best option for a PSU!

By the way would there be a reason why the LED would ome on all the way to the point of plugging into the motherboard?

Top Student
Michael-Turbo
Message 10 of 15 (3,263 Views)

Geekster, I got the new PSU and after plugging everything in sure enough the computer powered up but now it isn't recognizing my monitor (or monitor not recognizing the computer)

The monitor just show the box that alternates between 'analog' and 'digital' for about 7 seconds and then just goes to black screen with the power light on the monitor slowly blinking. The same sequence that happens when turning the monitor on while the computer is off.

-Michael

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation