On a dc7600 CMT I have an IDE hard drive and multiple SATA drives. BIOS can't see SATA drives, why? (494 Views)
Honor Student
leenstl
Message 1 of 5 (494 Views)

On a dc7600 CMT I have an IDE hard drive and multiple SATA drives. BIOS can't see SATA drives, why?

[ Edited ]

Desired setup:  IDE drive (set to slave to co-exist with optical drive master) for basic Linux install and multiple SATA drives for Linux RAID drives shared for pics, backups etc.  Note that this will NOT be any kind of controller based RAID. 

A test setup with no IDE hard drive and just one SATA drive worked, I was able to see it in the BIOS and install to it.  That was a 160GB notebook SATA drive since I did not have the Seagate Barracuda drives until today.

BIOS is latest non-Vista/7 version (1.61).  Cables are seated properly, BIOS options for Separate IDE controller is set, I also tried setting a POST delay of 20 seconds.  I jumpered the SATA-ii Seagate Barracude 7200.10 750GB drives to use SATA-1 speed, no help.

I'm starting to think that the system does not like using an IDE hard drive and SATA drives together.  If I can't get the desired setup to work maybe I'll try removing the IDE hard drive.  I wanted to have a separate system disk for booting, swapping, system files, etc, but using RAID storage for everything would also work.

Thanks for any assistance!

Update: I removed the IDE drive and one of the SATA drives and still could not see it in the BIOS.  New cables are in the mail so I'll try those next.

Professor
Pankay
Message 2 of 5 (489 Views)

Re: On a dc7600 CMT I have an IDE hard drive and multiple SATA drives. BIOS can't see SATA drives,

Have you checked with IDE drive connected??

remove all other HDDs and CD drive...

install IDE with Master... check if it is being detected in BIOS or not...

if it gets detected then install ONE sata in SATA-0 port..

let us know how it goes...
||-Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.-||
//Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 3 of 5 (485 Views)

Re: On a dc7600 CMT I have an IDE hard drive and multiple SATA drives. BIOS can't see SATA drives,

Hi:

I'm thinking you need to set the IDE drive as cable select on the IDE channel (CD-ROM will be master; IDE, secondary).

Make sure your CD-ROM is also set to cable select and is in the end connector of the IDE cable.

The dc7600 is SATA II capable. No need to jumper the SATA drive to run at the slower speed.

Paul

Honor Student
leenstl
Message 4 of 5 (478 Views)

Pankay wrote:
Have you checked with IDE drive connected??

remove all other HDDs and CD drive...

install IDE with Master... check if it is being detected in BIOS or not...

if it gets detected then install ONE sata in SATA-0 port..

let us know how it goes...

One IDE hard drive and one IDE CD drive hooked up, two SATA-ii drives, only the IDE drives are seen in BIOS.  Master or slave, it should make no difference which is which between the hard drive and the CD.  I'm not following your reasoning for thinking they should be switched since it is the Seagate Barracuda SATA drives that aren't recognized by the BIOS.

Honor Student
leenstl
Message 5 of 5 (462 Views)

leenstl wrote:

Desired setup:  IDE drive (set to slave to co-exist with optical drive master) for basic Linux install and multiple SATA drives for Linux RAID drives shared for pics, backups etc.  Note that this will NOT be any kind of controller based RAID. 

A test setup with no IDE hard drive and just one SATA drive worked, I was able to see it in the BIOS and install to it.  That was a 160GB notebook SATA drive since I did not have the Seagate Barracuda drives until today.

BIOS is latest non-Vista/7 version (1.61).  Cables are seated properly, BIOS options for Separate IDE controller is set, I also tried setting a POST delay of 20 seconds.  I jumpered the SATA-ii Seagate Barracude 7200.10 750GB drives to use SATA-1 speed, no help.

I'm starting to think that the system does not like using an IDE hard drive and SATA drives together.  If I can't get the desired setup to work maybe I'll try removing the IDE hard drive.  I wanted to have a separate system disk for booting, swapping, system files, etc, but using RAID storage for everything would also work.

Thanks for any assistance!

Update: I removed the IDE drive and one of the SATA drives and still could not see it in the BIOS.  New cables are in the mail so I'll try those next.

The supplier of the SATA drives has gotten complaints from other users about the drives being bricked and gave me a refund.  I swapped out all SATA cables for brand new cables before I heard about that, no amount of troubleshooting would have worked on these.  Thanks for the replies though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation