Pavilion a1310n won't connect to the internet via ethernet. (4875 Views)
Honor Student
iatethesun
Message 1 of 8 (4,875 Views)

Pavilion a1310n won't connect to the internet via ethernet.

Hello. I bought my Pavilion a few years ago, and immediately set it up with a wireless usb card, to connect to the downstairs' computer's internet. I have never tried connecting to the internet from the ethernet card until I moved out a few months ago. My boyfriend's dell laptop works fine plugged into his ethernet card to the modem, but when i went to set up a wireless network in his house (using my computer to access the internet, and his laptop would float around using its' internal wireless card,) My computer would not access the internet through the ethernet card.

I then set up the network using the laptop to connect, and then unplugged the laptop, and it was able to connect to the internet wirelessly. I used my usb network card to then connect to the internet, but it cuts in and out, kicks me off the internet multiple times a day

What do I do to get my ethernet card to connect to the internet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 8 (4,866 Views)

Re: Pavilion a1310n won't connect to the internet via ethernet.

Is the wired network adapter enabled in Device manager?

Do you have DHCP server enabled in the router setup and for the 10/100 network adapter in properties settings?

Are you trying to use both wireless and wired network adapter at the same time?

What brand and model wireless router are you using? 

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
iatethesun
Message 3 of 8 (4,856 Views)

Is the wired network adapter enabled in Device manager?

In the device manager under Network Adapters the 1394 Net Adapter and the Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC are both enabled.

Do you have DHCP server enabled in the router setup and for the 10/100 network adapter in properties settings?

I'm not sure about this question. If you could tell me where to look, I could give you an answer.

Are you trying to use both wireless and wired network adapter at the same time?

Not with the same machine. I'm trying to have the PC connect to the internet via the straight link to the broadband modem through the ethernet cable. I realize that during the setup of the router, they will tell you to directly connect the ethernet cable from your computer into the router. The internet doesn't work from the beginning, so I assume it won't work through the router this way either. The laptop will connect to the wireless network through the use of it's internal wireless adapter. 

What brand and model wireless router are you using? 

The router is a Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router WPN824 v2

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 8 (4,845 Views)

Is there a firewall turned on (your PC)?

Which OS are you running? Is it XP or Vista?

Do the green power and activity leds light up when you have the CAT5 cable plugged into the router and the PC?

Are you sure that the CAT5 cable is working? (have you tried it on the laptop?)

Do you have access to a PCI network card so you can verify that it is not a motherboard hardware problem?

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Honor Student
iatethesun
Message 5 of 8 (4,826 Views)

Is there a firewall turned on (your PC)?

No, the router setup reccomends that you shut off any firewalls.

Which OS are you running? Is it XP or Vista?

Windows XP Media Center Edition

Do the green power and activity leds light up when you have the CAT5 cable plugged into the router and the PC?

Yes, I always make sure that they are at where they should be before I proceed to the next part of the set up.

Are you sure that the CAT5 cable is working? (have you tried it on the laptop?)

I've tried all of the cables we have, they all work on the laptop, none work on the PC.

Do you have access to a PCI network card so you can verify that it is not a motherboard hardware problem?

I could, I'd have to ask my friend who is scrapping their computer.

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 8 (4,822 Views)

[ Edited ]

" could, I'd have to ask my friend who is scrapping their computer" Now that is a good plan. Hopefully your friend has a pci network adapter that you can install in your pc for a test of your motherboard.

The activity leds I was referring to are not only on the router.

Look at the where you plug in the CAT5 cable to your PC. There are twoleds  there on mos tPCs . one led is power the other is activity.

On the back of your pc look to see if there is a led near where you plug in the power cord. when you plug in the power cord and the switch is on the led should

be solid green and not blinking. (that is how it is on most HP PCs)  

When you plug in the CAT5 cable between the desktop PC and the router does a port number light up on the front of your router?

since you are using a version of XP a few  things are more simple than with Vista. 

Go to the Control Panel. Open Network Connections. Does the connection for your wired adapter say (network cable disconnected"?

Go to your Netgear Router web interface on the laptop.

Type this in the URL box in the browswer of your choice (IE or Firefox or Opera or whatever) http://routerlogin.net Login.  Login by typing admin and password as username and password unless it has been changed.

once you are in go to attached devices. Do you see the ip address for your desktop there?

You can find the address at your desktop from a command line.

Start -->Run --> type in "cmd" (without the quotes) then type ipconfig /all

Now look at the wired network adapter listing and you should see an IP address in the form of 192.168.1.0 or 10.0.0.. It will be something like that. write it down and look at attached devices in the Router webgui on the laptop. Is it there or not?

Message Edited by erico on 02-17-2009 06:32 AM

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 7 of 8 (4,794 Views)

It sounds to me like first you need to make sure that the Netgear router is setup by using the disc that with it.

1st, connect the pc (doesn't matter which pc it is) to the modem directly and make sure you can get online

2nd, put in the netgear disc and re-setup the router and when you get to the wireless part you can tell it to setup an encryption or leave it open. Try to setup a WAP encryption type.

This is the proper way to setup a router.

From here on you should be able to connect it physically or wirelessly using all pcs in the house.

I have a very similar netgear router myself.

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 8 (4,791 Views)

@Cornel:  She already stated that she can wirelessly connect to the net with brother's laptop vis a usb wireless adapter. So the router needs some config tweaking not a general setup with the Netgear CD.

WPA2-AES is the fastest and most secure commonly used encryption mode if the laptop's firmware will suppport it. Not all do and I notice that she has the older 802.11G model B=Netgear router not an 802.11 N router

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation