HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
06-01-2011 09:43 PM
Hi, I'm trying to restore my Media Center m8000n using recovery dvds. My initial problem was that all of a sudden, the computer would lock up and the screen would show block-streaks of color from what once was the desktop. I thought it could be a hdd issue so I bought a new hdd and busted out the recovery dvds. I went ahead and replaced power supply and memory too, but still running the on-board graphics, processor and board, of course. Almost completing the restore, I get the same thing - lock-up and streaks.. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? Should I have upgraded and used a new graphics card too? Or is it something on the board and/or processor? Any input is appreciated.. Thanks!
06-02-2011 09:49 AM
This does appear to be a video issue. I would suggest you try the following:
1) You do not state how often this appears, so my first choice would be to swap out the monitor for several days.
2) Discrete graphics card would be next.
I looked up your specs, and you have a PCIEx16 slot, and a WINTV tuner (likely Hauppauge Win1800).
The top slot is the PCIEx16 for graphics, the next slot is your PCIEx1 with the WINTV tuner.
Now the problems:
(1) You will be forced to use a only single rail Low Profile card. Anything else will not fit. It will slam into the WINTV tuner. Some cards will claim it, but you have to look really close at the visual representation.
(2) PSU that will support the new graphics card wattage. (You did not say what PSU you bought).
BTW - I have the m8100eCTO, with same mobo, but with NVidia 8500GT. I have upped the PSU to a Rosewill 530W. I will be replacing the graphics card. Already bought a new one, HD5670. IF problems with the ATI really do exist with my AMD processor, I will be searching to another NVidia card. Like you, I will have problem #1.
To say THANK YOU, press the white star on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
PS--You can render both Solution and KUDO
06-02-2011 08:16 PM
1. The problem occurs almost always.. I would say about 5mins into a reboot..
2. I've tried 3 different monitors already..
3. New PSU is a Coolmax 500W.. I don't remember the wattage of the old PSU..
4. I may not have to get a low profile card, appears to be enough room.. There's a PCI-e 1x slot under the 16x.. probably be restricted by the hdd mount, if that..
I'll take your advise and get a Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS to try.. will let you know how it goes.. Thanks!