HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
03-31-2012 09:28 PM
I bought an upgrade to go from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional, so I can download and use XP mode. I've tried several times - product key is correct, all W7Home Premium updates done and hotfix for upgradability run. It still won't upgrade - after several minutes I get a screen that says "Update failed." Microsoft is worse than no help at all. Any suggestions?
04-01-2012 04:11 PM
1. Disable any security software before attempting to upgrade or do a clean install.
2. Make sure your computer is updated (devices and applications)
3. Disconnect any external devices before installing.
4. Check your hard disk for any errors:
Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD
Click 'Run as Administrator'
At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r /f
When you restart your system, your computer will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
User Account Control permission
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.
Also run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor: