Question

Honor Student
rovingrv
Message 1 of 5 (2,394 Views)

RECOVERY D partition missing

Recently I noticed that on my HP-Pavilion KC787AAR-ABA d4996t the Recovery partition is missing. Perhaps it now is part of the C: partition as the C partition is now defined as "C-HP (C:smileyhappy:" and no partition "Recovery (D:smileyhappy:" appears as it does on my HP G71-340US laptop.  I recall that my desktop originally had the "D Recovery" partition.  If it is needed for a Recovery I have no idea how to access it.  What can I do about this?  Is there a way that I can specifically identify and separate and copy the Recovery file and put it in its separate partition?  Suggestions and assistance please.

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 5 (2,390 Views)

Re: RECOVERY D partition missing

RR, if you ever require a system recovery you will need some means to do it.  Here is a guide to ordering Recovery Disks for your computer.

Not on subject:  Are you a full-time rv'er?  Your handle made me think that it is possible.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 5 (2,381 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks Geekster for the help.  I figured that was going to be the answer.  Now I'd like to know what happened to make it 'disappear'.  Could I make a copy of the Recovery file on my HP laptop and transfer it to folder on my desktop computer?  Or use it off of a thumb drive or SD card?  Is there a way I can identify that file in the directory of C:?

Not a full-timer, but was a 6-monther for many years, much of it traveling in Mexico.  Now 6 months at home in the mountains of Colorado where it is always cool, and 6 months at a condo in Mazatlan, where it is always warm.  Send me a pm if you want to discuss this further, as I'd be happy to do.  [text removed for privacy]

Honor Student
rovingrv
Message 4 of 5 (2,376 Views)

[ Edited ]

Geekster - my email address should be [text removed for privacy - please use private messages] think I mistyped it previously.

Honor Student
rovingrv
Message 5 of 5 (2,366 Views)

Re: RECOVERY D partition missing-(amended)

While trying to find recovery disks at HP it finally occurred to me that maybe the reason for the disappearance of the Recovery partition was because the computer originally came with Vista, where it existed, and I did an upgrade last October when Win 7 came out, when it probably disappeared.  Could that be part or all of that problem?  I still have the Win 7 disk, of course. My HDD directory consists of the C-HP (C) partition, which Partition Wizard notes as "Active, Boot & System",and then D: and the others for programs, etc., and this differs from my HP laptop that came with Win 7 64 installed on it, which has a small 199MB System partition followed by the usual C: D: E: etc. Could it be that the Recovery disks are not needed in this circumstance, and that I can use the Win 7 upgrade disk in their place?  Trying to make Recovery disks just gives the link to HP and its instructions for finding the disks, etc.  Many thanks for your thoughts and information.  As you can see, I am certainly not an expert in such.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation