Question

Student
Papa7
Message 1 of 2 (3,484 Views)

Screen Saver

I have a brand new hp elitee9120y.  I can't get the screen saver to function.  I have done all I know to do.  I now have Vista and was very experianced with XP and changed the screen saver 100s of times. 
Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 2 (3,477 Views)

Re: Screen Saver

You refer to "the screen saver" - do you have a specific software title in mind? If you are looking to use one of the several screen savers available to Vista, then.... Make sure your Power settings are not set to shut the monitor off before the screen saver pops.

Here is instructions for getting to the screen saver...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00839740&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en#N879

Changing the screen saver
Windows is preloaded with a number of screen savers. Screen savers help prevent stationary images from burning a ghost image into the phosphors of CRT monitors. They are also used to show entertainment when the computer is not being used. To change the screen saver, follow these steps:
  1. Right-click the Desktop background, and click Personalize .
  2. Select Screen Saver to open the settings window.

Figure 10: Screen Saver Settings window

3. Select the screen saver to be used from the menu.
  4. Click Settings to open a setting window for the selected screen saver (if settings are available).
  5. Click Preview to see how the screen saver will appear on the computer screen. Move the mouse to return to the Display Properties panel when finished.
  6. Enter the number of minutes in the Wait field. This is the number of minutes of inactivity that needs to pass before the screen saver opens.
      NOTE: Make sure that the number of minutes for the screen saver is less than the number of minutes that it takes for the monitor to enter a sleep state.
  7. Select On resume, display logon screen if you want the logon screen to open when anyone attempts to use the computer after the screen saver opens.
  8. Click OK to save the settings and close the Display Properties window.
If the screen saver does not open after the time has elapsed, certain device settings can prevent the screen saver from opening. Activity from devices such as a wireless mouse, network, or high definition audio can cause the computer to receive "wake up" calls that prevent the screen saver from opening.
Use the following steps to prevent these hardware devices from waking the computer:
  1. Click Start, and then right-click Computer .
  2. Click Properties , and then click Device Manager in the left pane of the window.
  3. Click the plus sign ( + ) next to the device you want to adjust.
    • If you are using an optical mouse, click Mice and other pointing devices .
    • If the computer is using an "always-on" connection, click Network Adapters .
    • To check the high definition audio, click Sound, video, and game controllers .
  4. Double-click the name of the device to open a Properties window.
  5. Click the Power Management tab, and remove the selection from Allow this device to wake the computer .
    Power management tab for a mouse

NOTE: If you prevent the mouse from being able to wake the computer, you can wake the computer using the Sleep button on the keyboard or from the power button on the front of the computer.
  6. Click OK , close the open windows, and restart the computer.
  7. Click Start  , and click the Sleep/Standby button to see the problem still exists.
    If the problem still exists, continue to the next step.
  8. Disconnect all non-essential connected devices (printers, scanners, USB drives).
  9. Restart the computer with only the original mouse, monitor, and keyboard connected.
    If this resolves the sleep/standby problem, one of the connected devices was causing the problem. Replace one device and test to see if the problem occurs again. Continue adding devices and testing until the you find the device that is causing the problem.
... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation