Screen Shot (76534 Views)
Student
johnk846
Message 1 of 13 (76,534 Views)
Accepted Solution

Screen Shot

How do I take a "screen shot" of a current screen?  After having trouble with a sports game, I was told to send a "screen shot"

of the particular screen and send it to them. 

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 13 (76,529 Views)

Re: Screen Shot

Hi,

1. Hit "Print screen" key (Prt Scr).

2. Open Paint (All Programs > Accessories > Paint).

3. Hit Ctrl+V (2 key same time)

4. Save as PNG file (to make file smaller still have good quality)

You can also use Alt+Prt Scr key to get a window only

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
hpvirgin55
Message 3 of 13 (74,735 Views)

Hi

I want to copy only the current screen, not the whole desktop with it.

I've tried the Alt+Prt Scr key to get a window only as suggested, plus a combination of other keys with PrtScr but none work.

Any suggestions please?

PhD Student
PeaceLily
Message 4 of 13 (74,551 Views)

If that's not working for you, have you considered using a screen capture program? These allow you to make very specific selections for your screenshots. You can easily select just a single window, or even a small area within the window. Windows 7 comes with "Snipping Tool" preinstalled, and there are a number of other options you can download, like SnagIt. I personally like the hands-on control these programs offer.

Just for future reference, when making new posts on this forum you probably don't want to post them as replies to posts that have been marked as solved. A lot of people will not bother to look at a thread that has been solved.

Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
I work on behalf of HP.
Student
burnside
Message 5 of 13 (44,566 Views)

i have had my computer for 8 years.  i always thought prt sc sent the screen shot to printer or somewhere, little did i know it copied.  **bleep** i wish i would have read this long ago.  thanks a lot!

Honor Student
miymi
Message 6 of 13 (21,183 Views)

how can i screen shot it is not leting me to do it

Honor Student
miymi
Message 7 of 13 (21,182 Views)

its not letting me
Student
mikaelamatilda
Message 8 of 13 (18,894 Views)

Hi,

so  to take a screen shot I tried to hit "print screen" button with and without alt, ctrl and alt gr but none of those work... How can I take the screen shot?

PhD Student
PeaceLily
Message 9 of 13 (18,875 Views)

@mikaelamatilda 

What is the model number of the computer you're using? What operating system?

On your keyboard, is there a Fn key, and is "prt sc" printed underneath "insert" or whatever key it's combined with? If so, try pressing Fn + prt sc.

Are you using Windows 8? If so, press the Windows key + print screen.

What is the behavior you expect from the print screen key? If you're using Windows 7, print screen will copy the screenshot to your clipboard, and you'll need to use another program (like Paint) to view and save the image. If you're using Windows 8, print screen will save the screenshot to your pictures library automatically. Just to clarify, there is no actual printing involved -- nothing will come out of your printer unless you choose to print the screenshot after saving it to your computer.

Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
I work on behalf of HP.
Student
garryboy
Message 10 of 13 (15,667 Views)

HI ! why my print screen not work , i follow your instruction but does not work..

(HP probook 4445s)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation