Slow Loading of Windows 7 (927 Views)
Top Student
khale1966
Message 1 of 7 (927 Views)

Slow Loading of Windows 7

My PC takes up to 8 minutes to load Windows 7 (not any programs, just the OS). Only 2 weeks ago it was loading in approximately 2 minutes. When I run "Troubleshoot Problems" it tells me that Windows is loading programs automatically which may slow down the loading. I go to "Startup" and find about 20 programs there, but I have no idea what is necessary and what can be 'shutoff'. Can anyone help me?   Thanks

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 7 (921 Views)

Re: Slow Loading of Windows 7

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 3 of 7 (915 Views)

Here is a list of things to try if your PC is slow:

1. Download cookienator (it's a freebie) and clean house.
  2. Open my Computer and right mouse click on the hard drive --> properties --> Disk cleanup
  3. Start Internet Exployer --> Tools--> Internet Option --> delete browsing history
  4. Open my Computer and right mouse click on the hard drive --> properties --> Tools --> Defrag now
  5. Open my Computer and right mouse click on the hard drive --> properties --> Tools --> Check now
  6. Open the RUN Window and enter the following commands:

cmd

sfc/scannow --------> this will verify your critical system files and attempt repairs

exit

7. Open the RUN Window and enter the following command: chkdsk

8. Reboot and see how things go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
khale1966
Message 4 of 7 (909 Views)

Thank you for responding to my problem. I did all of the things you suggested before (I assume when you directed me to "My Computer" you meant "Computer". I cannot find an icon/program "My Computer"). I also cannot find a "RUN" window, so I was not able to do the commands you suggested. I went to the box on the lower left of the screen and typed in "Run", it returned an icon which I clicked on, but there was no place to put in those commands you said to do. I have 8 gb of RAM and don't understand why it is so slow. I am still trying to figure out what programs to remove from the "Startup" menu. GThank you again for the assistance you gave me.

Top Student
khale1966
Message 5 of 7 (908 Views)

Thank you for your assistance. I have already gone to the MSCONFIG site, but I am still unable to determine what stays and what goes. I will go to the website you suggested, it will take me awhile to review over 1300 program names. Thank you again.

Student
pyphuah
Message 6 of 7 (398 Views)

I have one unit of Compaq CQ1000 running on Win 7, initially it works fine, however, after about 6 months, it become very slow in starting up. it tooks around 30 minutes to complete start up so that you can run Win office. even I delete many startup program in MSconfig, but it still fail to perform.

Finally I format the whole drive and re install Win 7, it went back to normal. unfortunately, after 6 months, it become very slow again.

Now, I only hibernate the pc, then it will start up fast. If i shut down, it will take very long time! pls help.

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 7 of 7 (393 Views)

Hello Pyphuah,

I understand your computer is slow loading into windows is that correct? I will do all I can to help you figure out the problem.

In order for me to better assist you could you please provide the full make and model of the PC you have.  Providing me that information will better help me help you. If you're uncertain where to locate that information follow this link

The information you provided is just Compaq series not the full model number that I need.

Please respond at your earliest convenience. 
Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
I work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation