Question

Honor Student
Flapperkazza
Message 1 of 4 (3,446 Views)

System Fan Failure

Hi Guys/Gals

Was wondering if anyone could help me out............

I have checked Bios and my System Fan runs about 700-800rpm when tower in Horizontal position and no errors occur.  When I stand my tower in the vertical position my system fan immediately starts to drop speed until as low as 360 rpm then it jumps to 0 (fan still turning though) and you can see a little flicker in the background trying to read around 360ish rpm.  When I exit Bios at this moment I then get error below:-

System Fan Error immediately service unit or press f2 to continue - I normally have my tower in the vertical position

Any ideas????

Kindest Regards,

Karen

Model: Compaq SR2129UK

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 4 (3,431 Views)

Re: System Fan Failure

Replace the fan that is causing the issue.
Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 3 of 4 (3,396 Views)

1) Open up the tower while off and disconnected and check the processor fan and the case (exhaust) fan and make sure they spin using your finger and that no cables are tocuhing them.

2) If they're fine, then try following the 3pin cable from the fans to the motherboard and take it out and out it back. Do this for all other fans.

3) Put everything back and turn on the pc and if you get this message press F2 to ignore it.

Important Note: You mentioned that you monitored the fan speed. Normally on HP systems BIOSes it doesn't show that unless you installed everything in your own case (tower) like I did. This happened to me when I switched just the tower but kept all the components.

In this case it isn't a problem just a little annoyance until you get another motherboard.

I believe this also happens when you switch cases because some of the front panel and usb connectors are left in the Hp case (old) and those aren't connected to it like before. But again if all fans work and connected there's no problem.

Honor Student
Flapperkazza
Message 4 of 4 (3,353 Views)

Thanks Folks,

I opened tower and gave the unit a good clean, air duster was fab aid.  I checked all connections and job is a good one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation