Question

Tutor
Jboman
Message 1 of 18 (1,310 Views)
Accepted Solution

Time and Date not correct

Hi to all.

Does anybody know how to save your cmos settings to a floppy or CD?

Is there a program that can assist with saving the cmos settings to floppy or CD?

Is there anyway to perform saving the cmos settings within the BIOS to floppy or CD?

I really don't want to go into the BIOS and write down all that info.

I have an HP Pavilion 553w that is 7 1/2 years old, running windows xp home edition version 2002 sp3, 2 gbs of ram, AMD athlon(tm)XP 2100+ 1.73 GHZ, bios version/date Phoenix Techologies, LTD AM35308, 10/07/2002 (Phoenix-AwardBIOS CMOS Setup Utility) SMBIOS 2.3, BIOS Core Version V6.0, BIOS Revision 3.08 10/7/2002.

I know my computer is ancient and I probably should have updated my BIOS, as it is out of date.

Also, after starting up my computer I noticed my time and date is not correct and as of lately have to adjust the time and date to the correct time and date.

I did some research and came across some possible reasons:
1. RTC battery (CMOS battery) may need reseating on motherboard.
2. The battery has become corrupt.
3. BIOS version may be out of date.

My computer is really taking longer than usual to startup and images of icons take longer to display, which may be a sign of the symptoms I listed above.

My computer doesn't have any malware whatsoever, clean as can be.

Any help or advise will be truly appreciated.

Jboman

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 18 (1,308 Views)

Re: Time and Date not correct

[ Edited ]

Replace the CMOS battery.

What model HP PC are you using?  How to Find the HP Model Number

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 3 of 18 (1,298 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Jboman, It does appear that the CMOS battery has failed, which would be normal for the life of this battery.

You may also consider updating the BIOS.  Here  is the link for the latest BIOS.

Here  is a link to the specifications and instructions on how to locate and replace the CMOS battery.

Even though your system has a little age on it, the system seems to have some fairly good specifications for it's time.

If, after you perform the BIOS and battery updates, and the system is still slow as you suggest. you might consider reinstalling the operating system. You would need to backup any files you would need later.

After several years, the operating usually becomes somewhat corrupted, and a freah install will bring the system back to life.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Tutor
Jboman
Message 4 of 18 (1,283 Views)

The Model is an Pavilion 553w

Product # P9861A-ABA

I obtained above info by going ctrl+alt+s

Thanks for the Reply Big_Dave and I will look into changing the CMOS battery.

But, how can you save the cmos settings, so I don't have to write all the info down?

Tutor
Jboman
Message 5 of 18 (1,282 Views)

Thank you for the reply so soon Hanspuppa.

I will definitely look into the info you provided.

Also, is there a way I can save the cmos settings to floppy or CD without writing all that info down?

Because I if have to replace the cmos battery due to being corrupt,  I would like to load my existing cmos settings.

Thanks again Hanspuppa, very valuable information (Thumbs UP!!!!!)

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 6 of 18 (1,275 Views)

[ Edited ]

Jboman wrote: Also, is there a way I can save the cmos settings to floppy or CD without writing all that info down?

Because I if have to replace the cmos battery due to being corrupt,  I would like to load my existing cmos settings.

Hello Jboman, I know of no way to actually save the BIOS settings to another media. The battery actually just runs down due to old age, as many of us do. The CMOS requires a voltage to retain the memory of the CMOS for the BIOS settings.

The BIOS does not become corrupt as such, but just looses it's settings and reverts to the default settings stored in the CMOS chip.

I would suggest, changing the battery first. You would then enter the BIOS and set the date and time, and set the BIOS to the default settings, save these new settings and reboot the system. This is how most systems are set up, unless there is a reason to set them otherwise.

After the battery has been changed and the BIOS settings reset, then update the current BIOS with the newer version.

Normally these original reset BIOS settings will be saved, even when updating the BIOS, but if not just enter the BIOS and reset the date, time and select the default settings, save these new settings and reboot the system.

The system time and date should then be saved. Windows normally uses the BIOS date and time to dislpay the time and date on the desktop screen, so this should now be the correct time and date.

Hope this helps.

Tutor
Jboman
Message 7 of 18 (1,261 Views)

Thank Hanspuppa I will do as you advised.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Jboman

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 8 of 18 (1,234 Views)

Jboman,

There is not need to save CMOS settings unless you changed the default BIOS settings.  A bad CMOS battery will not preserve the settings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
Jboman
Message 9 of 18 (1,223 Views)

Thanks Big_Dave.

That's good go know.

I'm going to purchase the new cmos battery today, and hopefully my time and date issue will be corrected.

Thanks again for the reply and advise.

Jboman

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 10 of 18 (1,216 Views)

Hello Jboman, It seems that Big_Dave may have misunderstood your situation.

When you replace the CMOS battery, you will need to enter the BIOS and reset the date and time and then SAVE THESE SETTINGS.

If you change the date and time and do not save these changes, the BIOS will return to the original settings with the original date and time.

Don't believe everything your read on some of these post.

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation