Question

Honor Student
D_Berks
Message 1 of 6 (23,205 Views)

USB devices all of a sudden no longer recognized in windows 7

Hi,

I am using a HP Pavilion Simline s5550nl edition with windows 7 home premium (64-bit) since 1.5 years. Never had any problems until 3 days ago. Since 3 days suddenly some new devices, already plugged-in devices and previously used devices are no longer recognized (USB-device not recognized-error after plug-in).

I used an USB-mouse, USB-keyboard, Smartcard-reader, Sony Story 1.5TB External HDD, USB WebCam. They al worked fine.

3 Days ago I bought a WD Elements 2 TB External HDD. After plugging in, it was not recognized at first. Replugging it in it was recognized, but trying to open the drive in Explorer, it gave a not-formatted-error (while the disk should have been pre-formatted for Windows 7). However, i tried to format the disk, but it could not reach it any more. After rebooting the system the WD elements HDD gave the USB-device-not-recognized-error, using all other USB-ports didn't change that. In fact my Sony External HDD was no longer reachable either. Unplugging and replugging it in gave the same USB-device-not-recognized-error. Trying previously flawless working USB-devices all gave the same USB-device-not-recognized-errors (USB-flash disk 4GB, External HDD 2.5inch 160GB, USB-/card reader HUB, iPhone).

I then tried to connect my Sony and WD external HDD on my other computer with windows XP SP3. They were recognized within seconds and working fine (also the WD elements External HDD indeed turned out to be pre-formatted).

Strangely enough my USB-mouse, USB-keyboard and smartcard-reader kept being recognized at plug-in. Furthermore, my printers (connected over LAN) and NAS (connected over LAN) were usable without any problem. I did not encounter any other problems in functionality of windows. I then thought it might be a corrupted general USB-driver for mass-storage or something, so I started to google this problem. Things I have done so far (before each step I unplugged all USB-devices, rebooted and reconnected the devices):

- Turning computer off, unplug power-cable for 2 minutes, reboot.

- Updating BIOS to version 6.04 (was running version 6.02).

- Uninstalling all USB-devices/mainhubs etc in devicemanagement, automatic reinstallation at restart.

- Try installing newer USB-drivers for mainhubs, messages the installed drivers are already the latest.

- Uninstalling all 'hidden' USB-devices.

- Trying to go back to configuration of 1 day ago (maximum i could go back), resulted in an error that  the file might be corrupted.

- Turning computer off, unplug power-cable overnight, reboot.

- Running HP-systemdiagnostics: all passed.

- Running Norman anti-virus scan (latest update): no infection.

- Again uninstalling all USB-devices/mainhubs etc, automatic reinstallation at restart.

I also noticed that during the night before this malfunction appeared (so actually several hours), on january 20th, an automated microsoft critical update was installed (some anti-spyware definition update). I am now thinking it might still be a driver-problem of some sort of general USB-mass storage driver or due to this microsoft update or maybe some clever virus.

I no ordered a Recovery disk (never had to use one, so did not jet own one), to recover windows and if that doesn't help reinstall it. However I hope that anyone can bring up a solution that I am overlooking?

D. Berks

Honor Student
D_Berks
Message 2 of 6 (23,184 Views)

Re: USB devices all of a sudden no longer recognized in windows 7

OK, meanwhile I found that only uninstalling the USB2-driver enables the USB-ports again. Uninstalling it makes al devices recognizable, whil reintsalling it immediately makes all USB-devices unrecognizable.

I tried updating the driver to the latest version, deleting it (after reboot an automated reinstall is triggered), but nothing helps. As if soething that stays in the system makes USB2 to corrupt USB-channeling or something.

I strongly believe that it has something to do with the windows-update, but I can nowhere as a question about it to microsoft (will cost 70 euro's!).

Does anybody knows what this could be? Or better: knows of a solution?

Tanks,

D. Berks

Provost
erico
Message 3 of 6 (23,177 Views)

Try a Windows System restore to a date prior to this issue.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
D_Berks
Message 4 of 6 (23,173 Views)

Hi Erico,

thx for the reply. Unfortunately i have only 1 point prior to the malfunction. Trying to go back to hat point gives an error (after 30 mins of processing) that the file might be deleted or corrupted...

I now go for reinstallation of windows. Hopfully it is not a motherboard problem...

Best regards, Durk

Provost
erico
Message 5 of 6 (23,165 Views)

Try the Microsoft fixit for usb issues

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
w9ctm
Message 6 of 6 (21,822 Views)

I am having a very similar issue. Since I received the same update as mentioned above from Microsoft, I am now unable to access either my Seagate 1tb external USB drive or any frash drive. I have tried everything from changing things in device manager as suggested in different forums, to deleting and re-installing drivers. The computer recognizes each of these devices, but they are not available in Windows Explorer. Microsoft Fixit did not Fixit.... And of course, these devices are instantly recognized in other computers....

Help???!!!???

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation