Question

Tutor
JohnSilver
Message 1 of 4 (3,919 Views)
Accepted Solution

Unable to Access BIOS

I have a Pavillion Elite e9280f desktop.   When I start the computer, I'm prompted to press F10 to enter the BIOS settings.  However, pressing F10 has no effect - I've pressed it once, I've pressed it repeatedly, I've held the F10 key down - in all cases, the boot process continues after a few seconds and I get "Starting Windows".   I'm wondering if this is related to the HP USB keyboard that came with the PC, but mostly I'm wondering how I can access the BIOS settings if pressing the F10 does not work!!

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 2 of 4 (3,914 Views)

Re: Unable to Access BIOS

Do not wait for it.
To open the BIOS Setup utility, turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the BIOS setup utility screen opens.
To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Both Customs use Rosewill Blackhawk case.
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Tutor
JohnSilver
Message 3 of 4 (3,879 Views)

I shut down the computer (power off).  Pressed the power on button and immediately began pressing F10 about once per second.  Continued to do so after the HP screen indicating press F10 to enter settings appeared, until "Starting Windows" appeared and Windows took over.   So...that method did not resolve the problem. 

Also tried a warm boot, pressing F10 duing Windows Shut Down, all the way through the HP screen until "Starting Windows" appeared and Windows took over, so that did not work either.  Probblem is not resolved. 

Tutor
JohnSilver
Message 4 of 4 (3,786 Views)

I finally solved the problem of not being able to access the BIOS. First, I realized that my keyboard was plugged into an external USB Hub instead of directly into a USB port on the computer. Moving the keyboard to a USB port on the computer allowed F10 to be recognized and the PC showed the "Entering Setup" message, however, the PC just hung at that point.

I then unplugged all non-essential items from the PC and restarted. This time F10 actually got me into the BIOS settings. By process of elimination, I determined it was the external USB hub that was hanging the PC when it was attempting to enter Setup. I have no idea why that should be a low level issue, but hopefully this post will save someone else many frustrating moments trying to access the BIOS.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation