HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
05-30-2011 12:12 PM
05-30-2011 04:37 PM
Let's revisit your commentary. QUOTE: " I have a Compaq SR2170NX, i got it last spring. and i have lost my password. i donot have a reset disk, boot disk, OS disk (it was an OEMact) or any clue what the password is. I NEED help!!!".
1) I got it last spring. Today is May 2011. The SR2170NX was issued/production on 28-Jan-2007.
2) Contradiction: no bootable disks to correct problem. Then you say "but it wont boot off a cd, usb or floppy".
The main protection scheme's on that computer is first a BIOS password. That would prevent changing the BIOS settings that would have allowed you to access the BIOS via F10. The second is the physical logon with user-name and user password.
Is it a BIOS password? or the other?
As the following is available thru HP's site, I feel no harm in telling you.
1) To enter the BIOS to change Boot device you must hit F10 repeatedly at power-up
2)How to erase the BIOS password: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docnam
As for the user-name and password quandry, I will await your reply.
If you want to re-install the OS, and retake possession as a new machine for $27
To say THANK YOU, press the white star on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
PS--You can render both Solution and KUDO
05-30-2011 05:00 PM
I must reinforce some of the items wb2001 brings to light. If it won't boot from a CD, USB or a floppy, then something beyond a password is the problem. If following the steps wb2001 does not do any good, I suggest going over just what is going on and present the facts.
06-02-2011 06:49 PM
I was knowing about such a method to bypass windows password. I just have a doubt in my mind that isn't it possible to directly go through the dos prompt and change the password instead of going through the safe mode of windows.
06-02-2011 08:53 PM
You can try to reset the password in Vista with command prompt.
1. Press F8 to enter Advanced Boot Options just before the Windows loading screen appears.
2. Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
3. Log in with an administrator account when you can see the log on screen.
4. Type net user in the command prompt and then hit Enter. All the Windows account user names will be listed for you.
5. Type net user Helen 123 and hit Enter.
‘Helen’ is your locked Windows account user name. And ‘123’ is the new password you want to reset for the account.
If you cannot enter the safe mode, I’m afraid you have to create a password reset disk with a CD or USB drive as follows. Otherwise, reinstallation will be your only choice.
Step 1: Download and install Windows Password Reset Tool in any computer from its official site
Step 2: Use CD/DVD/USB drive to create a password disk via the program.
Step 3: Boot your locked computer from CD/DVD or USB
Step 4: Reset Windows password with the burned CD/DVD or USB flash drive.
06-03-2011 06:25 AM
I repeat " That is relatively easy. Google for password reset or get a Hiren's disk."
It cannot be more easy and free, I do not understand the discussion. Just do as suggested.
Hiren's disk can do it .
03-20-2013 11:51 PM - last edited on 03-21-2013 07:05 AM by OrnahE
For you, how to recover forgotten Windows Vista password without password reset disk.
1. With another admin account.
2. Reinstall the system(if you didn't have any important datas)
3. Reset lost Windows Vista password with password recovery tool. [Content Removed]