Question

Top Student
ritamae66
Message 1 of 4 (137 Views)
Accepted Solution

What type of DVD should I use for Windows Backup?

I am wanting to do my Windows Backup and I was wondering what type of DVD media I should use. Is it better to use a RW or only R type DVD.

I have an HP Omni 220-1180qd, A5W89AV#ABA, running Win7 64 bit.

I thought I read it can use CD's, DVD's but I want to know which would be the better choice.

Thanks for any help and all help is appreciated.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 4 (131 Views)

Re: What type of DVD should I use for Windows Backup?

Honestly, an external hard drive would be a better choice. The difference between +R and +R/W is that +R is "Recordable" and +R/W is "Re-Writable". If you intend on making periodic backups, go with an extrernal hard drive... If you intend on making very few backups, consider the DVD+R discs.

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Provost
banhien
Message 3 of 4 (131 Views)

Hi,

From my experience, writing to R (+ or -)  blank DVD's gets higher successful rate in comparison with RW blank DVD's.

Hope this helps.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
ritamae66
Message 4 of 4 (125 Views)

lasvegaswireman-

Thanks. I really don't need to make backups that often for my Home use but I wasn't sure if a RW would be better or not. Although I have read that like you said, the external drives would be safest. I usually have more than one back up on hand and my files don't chane too often. I appreciate the advice.

Both of these first two answers seem to work for me.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation