Question

Honor Student
oldman-river
Message 1 of 2 (283 Views)

hard drive squealing

I have a HP Pavilion desktop computer Model # A6600F Product # FK792AA-ABA running Windows Vista 64 bit OS. In the last few months I get a bad squealing noise and have narrowed it down to the hard drive. Does not squeal each time I have the computer on, but it may start an hour after being on. This unit is out of warranty. I would like to know if the hard drive is available to purchase and where can I purchase it. I replaced the hard drive myself 2 months after I purchased the unit when it failed. Unit is approx. 3 years old. Had a team of techs helping me through the process, but the unit was still in warranty. Can't get that help now. If you have any solutions to this problem please let me know. Thanks

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 2 (280 Views)

Re: hard drive squealing

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Any compatible Hard Drive will work fine in your PC - you are in no way restricted to a particular manufacturer.

The Hard Drive on the link below is one I would recommend as a replacement - this is purely a personal preference based on my own experience.

320Gb Hard Drive.

The procedure for replacing the Hard Drive on your PC ( including a video overview ) can be seen in the document on the link below.

Replacing The Hard Drive.

Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive.

If you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set using the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation