how to restore factory settings (2966 Views)
Student
lostangelathome
Message 1 of 2 (2,966 Views)

how to restore factory settings

I have a compaq presario s6306rc ,with windows xp on it.  Someone got on it and removed a bunch of things like internet explorer and such. I can not get to anything to see what all has been deleted. When I system restore it to an earlier date it says its restore but nothing changes.I need to take it back to the original factory settings. How can I do this?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 2 (2,954 Views)

Re: how to restore factory settings

Hi:

In order to be able to restore your PC to its original settings, it needs to have a recovery partition on the hard drive or you need to have a set of recovery disks.

If it has the recovery partition (normally labeled as D:\ Recovery), then back up all files you want to reinstall first.

Shut down and reboot the PC , and at the beginning of the HP welcome screen, tap the F11 key to launch the recovery manager. Follow the on screen instructions to restore the PC to factory state.

If you have recovery disks, then back up your files, and insert the disk labeled disk 1 in the CD drive. Shut down and reboot the PC, and at the beginning of the HP welcome screen, tap the F9 key to launch the one time boot menu and selec the CD/DVD drive to boot from.

Follow the on screen instructions.

If you can't do any of the above, you can order a set of recovery disks from this vendor at the link below.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/productdetails.aspx?ID=3986

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation