Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi.

I have a p6610f pavilion.

using an n-alvorix-rs880-uatx (alvorix) motherboard running a 120gb revodrive and X2 backup vertex III 60gb ssd's

im using the standard integrated graphics.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02560084

im trying to upgrade the cpu. newegg have sold out of the Phenom II X6 10xxT Six-Core (Thuban core)http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02560084

I purchased and tried an AMD fx-8150 3.6ghz eight-core 125w.

When I replace the cpu there is power to the cpu fan and external fan ------  but the computer does not bootup-  as indicated by having no blue led power button on the top front right of the tower.

I downloaded the latest BIOS for the n-alvorix-rs880-uatx and rebooted----- but no success.

Is this fixable through other BIOS settingupgrades, or is tis possibly a power consumption issue.

Alternatively, does HP sell an upgrade motherboard size  24.4cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4cm (9.6 inches) that can run an AM3+ processor

Cheers!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I may not have the definitive answer you're looking for, but I did check on the specs for your PC. I don't see any CPU upgrade path for that particular system. That doesn't mean that another AM3+ CPU wouldn't work on your computer, just that it isn't spec'd out for it.

I would speculate that you're having a power consumption issue. The PS for your PC is spec'd out for 250 watts and that's probably generous. HP typically does not engineer much expansion capacity into PS beyond what the PC was originally spec'd for.

Thanks,

Scott
I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

hey. cheers ill try upgrade my power supply.

the GA-880GMA-USB3 salone (probably with larger pwoer supplyu) for instance an uatx sized board is TD95 but apparently works with 8150fx.

there no 990fx uATX boards made. not sure why

HP Recommended

Hi,

The socket for your motherboard is an AM3 socket that rated for 95 watts and not 125 watts.  In theory these AMD processors will work.

The AMD fx-8150 needs an AM3+ socket rated for 125 watts.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Working on an HP P6000 Desktop.  The power supply light is steady, the green light on motherboard is green/steady.  The fans come on when power button is pressed. There is no light at the Power (ON) Button or any video or post beeps.  Removed the RAM, no Beeps. Tried new power supply, replaced CMOS battery, removed all.  Can press the power switch and fans will shut down after 10-15 secs like they should. nothings seems to resolve problems, any Ideas? - have answer from different board but looking for 2nd opinion before presenting to PC owner

HP Recommended

Hello there.  Sadly this reply comes about 3yrs after the last post on this issue... I have been working on a Pavillion p7-1010 desktop for the 3rd time now.  Initially the computer would blue-screen or shut-down intermittently.  I performed numerous hardware tests and detected erors on one of the two memory modules.  After removng this "falty" module and installing a replacement from Crucial, all tests passed fine and all was well for about 2 weeks.  Then for no apparant reason it started having the same problems again so I installed a brand new power-supply with PLENTY of juice to support this board (all original parts except the RAM).  Again, problem solved... right?  Wrong!  Another 1-2 weeks pass w/ NO problems and then it starts with the same problems AGAIN.  But one particular instance when the computer was hard-booted, it would not appear to reach POST.  All fans come on, HDD spins up, and green light is lit on mainboard, but it does NOTHING ELSE... except... if you leave it alone for 30-60seconds it will start giving an error beep code pattern about 1sec long and 1sec apart... this repeats until you pull the power cord, as the power-button does not respond whatsoever.  Only thing I could think of to try is adding an expansion video card but the computer does not seem to even acknowledge it.   If ANYONE has ANY feedback or updates on this I'd grately appreciate it!  I've found several other instances of this same problem elsewhere on the web and am wondering if there was ever an announced product defect/recall/warranty offered for this N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX mainboard?  THANKS!!!  -Rob, Affordable PC Service of Metro Atlanta - www.affordablepc.info.

HP Recommended

I have been working the past few days trying to discover what this fault is as I recently bought an HP P7-1074 PC. There is nothing electronically wrong with Motherboard H-Alvorix-RS880-uATX
The problem with the computer not powering up and going into post and leaving a no signal screen is the Plug in the J18 header. It makes a bad connection. I don't think that these plugs were ever meant to have 2 cores going into the one pin. If you have a look at the plug you will more than likely see that it is a tad loose. I used my DVM probe to gently push on the copper strip that is visible, which then makes for a better connection when plugged into the header. I have now managed over the past 24 hours to start the computer at least 50 times and it boots no problem.

HP Recommended

This posted HP article may or may not apply to all alvorix motherboards.  It does apply to the starting post on this thread.

Alvorix motherboard extended motherboard replacement.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Why are there so many individuals trying to put a round peg in a square hole.  The specs for the N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02560084 clearly state that only the AM3 95w processors below are compatible.  I replaced my AMD Phenom II X4 820 with a AMD Phenom II X6 1065T, but found little improvement in overall processing speed.  Hopefully, everyone has acquired a new system by now.

AMD Phenom II X6 10xxT Six-Core (Thuban core)

AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb core)

AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka core

AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto core)

AMD Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)

AMD Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)

AMD Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)

AMD Sempron Single Core 1xx (Sargas core)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.