Question

Student
daesy3
Message 1 of 4 (2,654 Views)

printer does not recognize new ink cartridge, even though it prints the test perfectly

have an HP5180CAll in One 

and just installed a new ink cartridge , which it won't recognize, even though it prints that color in the test. I keep getting the popup message saying "print in black only. If you don't install new cartridge, it may quit printing completely"        I have tried all the tips given,  unplugging USB,  power cord and waiting  30 seconds, etc. and nothing seems to help. What else can I do..? (ink test shows  full on that cartridge...)

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 4 (2,647 Views)

Re: printer does not recognize new ink cartridge, even though it prints the test perfectly

[ Edited ]

daesy3 wrote: have an HP5180CAll in One and just installed a new ink cartridge , which it won't recognize, even though it prints that color in the test. I keep getting the popup message saying "print in black only. If you don't install new cartridge, it may quit printing completely"        I have tried all the tips given,  unplugging USB,  power cord and waiting  30 seconds, etc. and nothing seems to help. What else can I do..? (ink test shows  full on that cartridge...)

Hello daesy3, You might try the below instructions and see if this will resolve the issue.

The problem with the cartridge is it may not registering with the printer due to the contacts on the cartridge and printer are not making a good enough contact with each other.

I would first remove the cartridge and clean the contacts with some toilet tissue, being careful not to damage the contacts.

Then you might try taking some paper towel and cut a section that is the width of the cartridge and fold the paper towel up end over end making a little wedge or pillow square. Do not make this too thick.

With the cartridge in the printer place the paper towel on top of the cartridge and close the cartridge lever the holds the cartridge down in place and then close the printer lid.

Be extra careful not to apply too much force to get the latch to hold in place, or you risk breaking the latch.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Student
tickdoc
Message 3 of 4 (2,577 Views)

Re: printer does not recognize new ink cartridge, even though it prints the test perfectly

I have a HP Photosmart C6280 all in one - I have tried 2 new magenta catridges and the machine simply will not recognize that I did that. I tried lots of hints- like the paper towel "pillow" method- and unplugging it etc. Nothing works.   This printer also jams paper all the time and I never could get the scanner to work.   If you can help me fix these problems, I will very happy! If not, I will never go near another HP or recommend them to anyone! This has been a horrible experience.

Student
lori356
Message 4 of 4 (2,500 Views)

Mine is doing the same thing, i hope we both get an answer, this is the second time I have replaced cartrigdes, can't get it to work very frustrating!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation