Question

Tutor
frankminutillo
Message 1 of 7 (1,163 Views)

question about wireless vs wired connection to internet

I just bought a new computer with Windows 7. When I initially set it up, I wanted to keep my old computer running for a while. I set up the new computer and established an internet connection wireless using my existing router and wireless network. My old computer was on the internet via a wired connection from the router to the computer.

I have since stopped using the old machine and have given it away. My new machine remains online via it's wireless connection to my network. I have been told that It would be " better" to hard wire the computer to the net via a connection between my router and the computer tower.

First, is that necessarily true. And if I were to do so, can I merely connect the cable or do I have to disable the existing connection first and if so how do I do that.

By the way, I was told about the hard wiring by a HP tech when I was ( and still am) having a problem with a new HP wireless printer hanging up and sometime loosing it's connection to my network. The HP tech suggested that I hard wire the printer to the computer also. Obviously, I want to continue to have this new printer as well as an older and very solid printer both connected so that I can switch between them for various tasks.

Anyone there have definitive answers for me?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 7 (1,159 Views)

Re: question about wireless vs wired connection to internet

Hi,

frankminutillo wrote:

I just bought a new computer with Windows 7. When I initially set it up, I wanted to keep my old computer running for a while. I set up the new computer and established an internet connection wireless using my existing router and wireless network. My old computer was on the internet via a wired connection from the router to the computer.

I have since stopped using the old machine and have given it away. My new machine remains online via it's wireless connection to my network. I have been told that It would be " better" to hard wire the computer to the net via a connection between my router and the computer tower. That is actually true in a relative sense, especially if your PC's motherboard has a gigabit network card or LAN port. Wireless cannot currently  even approach those data transmission speeds. It is actually more secure and faster than a wireless connection (300 megabit/sec maximum speed).  It is relative because unless you have a gigabit internet conection at your house then you will never see data transmission speeds faster than a few megabits per second. :smileywink:  

First, is that necessarily true. And if I were to do so, can I merely connect the cable or do I have to disable the existing connection first and if so how do I do that. Just connect the CAT5 cable to the (LAN) network connection port at the rear of your PC. As long as you have not previously disabled it a connection will occur. Windows might ask your permission to let it happen.

By the way, I was told about the hard wiring by a HP tech when I was ( and still am) having a problem with a new HP wireless printer hanging up and sometime loosing it's connection to my network. The HP tech suggested that I hard wire the printer to the computer also. Obviously, I want to continue to have this new printer as well as an older and very solid printer both connected so that I can switch between them for various tasks. The suggestion about the wireless printer is doable but negates the purpose for which you bought the device. I suggest that you make a thread about the wireless printer as a separate issue. If your printer has CAT5/ USB and wireless options and your router has four ports then use the CAT5 port to make the connection. The connection will be considerably more reliable than wireless. 

Anyone there have definitive answers for me?

Best regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
frankminutillo
Message 3 of 7 (1,118 Views)

Thanks for your comments and answers to my question(s). I am still deciding how best to get the wireless printer to work better without connecting it by cable to the computer. And I have still left the computer as it is not hard wired to my router but using it's wireless connection to the internet.

I will try another question to this forum about the problem with the printer "losing" it's connection. It doesn't actually lose it's connection. When I try to print with both printers connected, one through a USB connection and the new one through it's wireless connectivity, I choose the wireless ( HP B 210a) and print. Sometimes nothing happens and the printer shows up as having an error. When I troubleshoot, it appears to be "turned off" If I shut if off and then restart it, the hung-up doc will print. This is a sort of work around to the problem, but not a solution. Hopefully someone will have a solution to this dilemma. HP did not during an hour long on-line chat with support.

Student
jschwa
Message 4 of 7 (991 Views)

I'm in exactly the same situation as frankminutillo .

I connected the CAT5 cable to the (LAN) network connection port at the rear of my  PC ,but it still seems to be uing the wireles input or maybe not . How do I tell for sure? How can I force a wired connection and how do I tell what,s happening? Everything is working satisfactorily as is .It's not broke.Maybe I shouldn't fix it.

Thanks for your help.

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 5 of 7 (924 Views)

In Control Panel, under Network Settings/network adapters you can disable the wireless adapter and leave the wired/lan adapter connected only. This way the wireless won't be connect. The pc won't connect through both wired or wireless at the same time ever. It's either or. As far as I know the wired connection always has priority over wireless connections.

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 6 of 7 (923 Views)

Regarding the printer issue. This tends to happen a lot for wireless printers. They sometimes go into sleep mode and need to be turned off and on or wireless connection cuts off (even next to the router) and network settings need to be reconfigured.

Provost
erico
Message 7 of 7 (921 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The way I do it at home is by using a hybrid (wired/wireless)  home network.

I have a Linksys WRT320N 802.11N (wireless) connected to my cable modem. That still leaves three ports to use at the rear of the wireless router.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate and have created a home network.  That is what has made this seamless.

I  have one PC and a Synology NAS hardwired to the wireless router.

There are three notebooks and one Desktop PC that are wirelessly connected to the hybrid network.

I have a Brother wireless printer that serves as our network printer   It has its unique SSID and that makes connecting to it simple by use of its own connection utility in Windows 7.

We rarely have problems printing from any of the desktops or notebooks.

network.PNG

The image just shows two desktops and one notebook online and the all -in-one printer/scanner/fax 

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation