Question

Intern
peterphee
Message 1 of 9 (16,674 Views)
Accepted Solution

starting in safe mode

I need to be able to start Windows 7 (64 bit) in Safe Mode in order to modify the password in a particular application.  However, the f8 key (or Esc or any other f key) will not stop my pc from starting windows normally. Any suggestions ?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 9 (16,671 Views)

Re: starting in safe mode

Hello peterphee, You should be able to enter Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key immediately after the HP Logo screens closes. You must tap it several times. I am not sure you can change any passwords from within Safe Mode.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Intern
peterphee
Message 3 of 9 (16,634 Views)

Hi,   That's what I've been doing.  I know it usually works, but I'm getting no reaction to any f keys during startup.

Peterphee

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 4 of 9 (16,622 Views)

peterphee wrote:That's what I've been doing.  I know it usually works, but I'm getting no reaction to any f keys during startup.

Hello peterphee, Can you advise if you are using a wireless keyboard? Some of these will not allow for any interaction until Windows has loaded the drivers for these wireless devices.

Intern
peterphee
Message 5 of 9 (16,601 Views)

Hi Hanspuppa,   Nice try !  Yes I was using a wireless keyboard, but have changed to a wired one, and still have the same problem.  None of the f keys have any effect during startup.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 6 of 9 (16,585 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello peterphee, Can you advise the model of your system. You mentioned you are running Windows 7 x64. The operating system would not have any effect on the issue you are experiencing, since the BIOS does not shift control to the operating system until the POST has successfully completed. It is possible the BIOS has been corrupted and there may be a newly released BIOS. I would try to reset the BIOS to the default settings and see if this has any effect on the F keys. I would also check for an updated BIOS for your system. If you are able at some point, to get into the BIOS, you might make sure the setting for Legacy Devices are enabled.  Can you also advise if you are connecting directly into the USB or PS2 port on the computer?

Intern
peterphee
Message 7 of 9 (16,574 Views)

Hi,  Thanks.    I have a Compaq Presario CQ5308 .  The keyboard is connected via the PS2 port.    I will try to find an update for my BIOS.            Peterphee

Top Student
Yeahbut
Message 8 of 9 (16,572 Views)

I'm not familiar with Win7, but in WinXP I can go into my Msconfig (start/run/msconfig) and select the Boot.ini tab and check Safeboot and it will start in safe mode next start. You might try a backdoor approach.

Intern
peterphee
Message 9 of 9 (16,563 Views)

Thanks Yeahbut,  the MSCONFIG trick worked        If Hanspuppa sees this, I did try to find a BIOS update, but with no success.  Anyway, problem solved (though I still don't know why the f keys dont work at startup)  Thanks all

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation