Question

Tutor
woody6
Message 1 of 51 (11,295 Views)
Accepted Solution

update hp support assistant for new version will not instal

HP Pavilion Slimline s5306ukP; HP 2010i 20-in LCD Monitor

My problem is that I recently had an alert from HP Support Assistant to download the New HP Support Assistant for the latest Features.

Okay I tried to download the update but it would not install?. I will go through the events on screen and perhaps you can inform me as to why this update for the New Support Assistant will not correctly install, thank you.  Everything passes up to 4/. Then it will skip "Downloading Updates" and go onto 5/,but nothing happens?

1/Setting Restore Point….pass; 2/ Checking available disk space…..pass; 3/ Connecting to HP services for new updates and alerts……pass; 4/ Downloading Updates..N/A; 5/ Installing/Applying the items selected………………..no?

Should I have to uninstall the version I already have to make the update go through and re-install a new Version or do you have any Fix than can be applied to make this update install properly?

I have Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 51 (11,291 Views)

Re: update hp support assistant for new version will not instal

Hi,

Try the following

First of all, uninstall your current version of HP Support Assistant using the Microsoft 'Fixit' on the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

When this has completed, restart the PC.

Next download and install the latest version of HP Support Assistant from the page on the link below - the download links are towards the bottom of the page.

http://h18021.www1.hp.com/helpandsupport/hp-support-assistant.html

After the installation, restart the PC again.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
woody6
Message 3 of 51 (11,288 Views)

Shall i try and uninstall program first from "Programs and features" before i use Mr Fixit?
Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 51 (11,286 Views)

Hi,

I would recommend using the 'Fixit' to uninstall the current version of HP Support Assistant - the main reason for this is because as there seems to be an issue with the existing installation updating correctly, this can indicate a corruption of the registry keys responsible for updating - this can also cause the program not to uninstall correctly, which in turn may prevent it reinstalling properly.

Regards,

DP-K

Tutor
woody6
Message 5 of 51 (11,281 Views)

Hi DP-K,

Thanks for all your help,but seem to have another problem trying to download "Mr Fixit". I do have administrator permission as this is myself. I have 2  passwords;1 to Log On and 1 for administartor. It asks me for Administrator permission and I type in my password.

Well, Trying to download Mr Fixit it says "We're sorry you do not have the correct permission to rum this program. 

This program does not support the "Runas" feature to resolve this problem. Log onto windows as Administrator.

Will not allow me in?????  

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 51 (11,279 Views)

Hi,

If you have a User Account and an Administrative Account, try restarting the PC and log-on to the Admin Account only, then see if the 'Fixit' will run.

If you still cannot download the 'Fixit', let me know if you can download the latest HPSA installer on the link below - don't run the installer, just see if it will download successfully.

Regards,

DP-K

Tutor
woody6
Message 7 of 51 (11,272 Views)

Hi DP-K,

Thank you for such quick responses to solve my problem. My administrator screen appears to not have all the usual progs that i have on my desktop and Windows Live mail seemed to want me to set it up to view messages.

So......... I have gone with your option 2. To see if I can download HP Support Assistant from your link.

It appears i can (hope i can when I access "Run"). It says "Do you want to Run or save  "sp 54931.exe" from FTP.HP.com

I very much appreciate you expert help and will await your further instructions

Best Regards, Gerry  

Provost
DavidPK
Message 8 of 51 (11,271 Views)

Hi Gerry,

Choose the option to save the file ( the default location will be your Downloads folder ) and let me know if the download completes and that you can see the installer in your Downloads folder.

Regards,

DP-K

Tutor
woody6
Message 9 of 51 (11,262 Views)

Hi DP-K,

Thanks for being patient on this but it is starting to drive me round the bend.  I did run sp 54931.exe okay. It went through the download to 100%. Then my Administrative password came up for me to put in. I ignored this and went to find Downloads folder. Could not find this in downloads or anywhere? It downloaded but where it went i do not know. I have tried putting sp 54931.exe in search and it could not be found?

Should i have put my administrative password in when it asked me to?

I do hope that you will be able to get to the bottom of this,but it seems everything is going not to plan as it should.  

Provost
DavidPK
Message 10 of 51 (11,255 Views)

Hi Gerry,

You're welcome :smileyhappy:

Try the following.

1.  Restart the PC and log on to the Admin Account only - just cancel any prompts from Windows Live Mail.

2.  Once again, click the link below to download the HPSA installer and choose the option to Save the file.

When the download has completed, you should see the option to 'Open Folder' - click this and check if sp54931 shows up here and let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation