wireless N LAN card (2504 Views)
Honor Student
RODGERLS
Message 1 of 4 (2,504 Views)

wireless N LAN card

I recently purchased an HPE-480t with a Premium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth.

My HP Laptop in the same location receives a 3-4 bar signal from my Linksys WRT54G, but my desktop indicates the signal is too weak to connect.

Is it necessary to connect an antenna to the desktop to receive a better signal, upgrade to an "N" router, or both?

If either or both options are necessary, can anyone suggest a compatable antenna and/or router?

Dean
old_geekster
Message 2 of 4 (2,478 Views)

Re: wireless N LAN card

[ Edited ]

Roger, here is the 'Solve a problem' section for 'Wireless/Networking/Internet for the computer.  I am very new to wireless networks.  In fact, I have only been using one for a couple of weeks.  In that time, however, I have had enough problems to add to my expertise.  The biggest problem is normally caused by the location of the wireless hot-spot.  If it is too far from the computer that can cause a problem.  Also, you may be getting interference from your laptop or other device, such as, a wireless phone.

I am using a Cisco Valet Plus (AM20) router, with a USB Cisco Valet Connector (AM10) with Qwest DSL.  The wireless connection is a bit slower than my previous wired connection.  I also use the LAN to stream movies and other media to my Sony 52" 3D Bravia and Blu-ray disc player with built-in WiFi.  The router is located on the second floor and the TV is located on the first floor.  I have a great connection.  It is at 100% most of the time.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 4 (2,469 Views)

To get the full benefit of the wireless n you will need a wireless n router.  It can be helpful to use an antennae if necessary.

Remember that your computer has to transmit as well as receive and it cannot excede the limits of the router.

That said, if you hadn't looked at the signal strength would you be aware of it?

Honor Student
RODGERLS
Message 4 of 4 (2,447 Views)

old_geekster,

Thanks for the reference and the suggestion.

R

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation