Question
42" TV PL4260N - picture just sent out, still have sound
Replies (180)

Intern
liquidsasquatch
Message 11 of 181 (8,512 Views)

Re: 42" TV PL4260N - picture just sent out, still have sound

That's OK, thanks for trying. I won't give up.
Intern
liquidsasquatch
Message 12 of 181 (8,500 Views)

Here's another customer with the same problem:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t2760568-no_picture_however_sound_hp_pl4260n_42

Perhaps fillibustering is the only way to get the attention of HP on the HP forums. I understand that it's a customer to customer forum, but it's maintained and paid for by HP. I would *hope* that someone in their TV department or customer service department would be horribly offended that their company could act this way toward a customer.

I saw a person shopping for computers today, I told her to avoid HP. She got a Dell.
Intern
liquidsasquatch
Message 13 of 181 (8,489 Views)

2nd week of NO TV has come and gone. HP still refuses to fix the issue they know to be a problem. If you didn't already know, they'd been replairing this issue for customers FOR FREE since 2007 -- they stopped doing so in Jan 2009. I find it strange that I should be penalized just because the part in my TV worked slightly better than in theirs.

HP! Time to step up.

Intern
liquidsasquatch
Message 14 of 181 (8,479 Views)

I'm using my Dell computer monitor as my new TV, since HP refuses to fix my 42" Plasma TV with a defective part. Sure, HD channels look ok, but what's the point! So tiny. Anyone from HP going to reply? I'm sure they're wondering if I'm going to give up. I think my next step is the Better Business Bureau in addition to this forum.
Tutor
bamacasher
Message 15 of 181 (8,494 Views)

Went through this recently.  Same story - PL4260N; Sound, but no picture; HP Customer Support said they've never heard of this problem but, oddly enough, were able to diagnose the problem over the phone (bad Y sustain board); offered to fix for $629.  I was going to replace it with a Samsung, until I found a company who said they'd fix my Y SUS board for $122.  I pulled it out of the TV, shipped it to them on 8/27/09.  I just got it back today (not a bad turn-around) and installed it.  Works like a champ.  I don't know how long it will last, but $132 ($122 + $10 shipping) is better than $629, and my Plasma is no longer a paper weight.  Thanks PTS Electronics!  Thanks for nothing HP.  In case you want to do the same: PTS Electronics (812) 824-9331

Intern
liquidsasquatch
Message 16 of 181 (8,449 Views)

Thanks! That's great news, I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Intern
liquidsasquatch
Message 17 of 181 (8,437 Views)

Confirmed! They told me it would be $122.60+shipping. I'm gonna send that off today. I hope it works...
Honor Student
Mommyof1
Message 18 of 181 (8,427 Views)

I'm never buying anything from HP again!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you posted this thread, and how to fix it!! Tonight my husband and I were watching our3 yr old 42" plasma t.v , and then we heard a pop , and the t.v went out.We had sound but no picture.. So ,we were on the phone with HP support for an hour, and came away with nothing.. only the option to fix the Y SUS Board for $629. Thats Ridiculous!!!! I think we will be contacting PTS electronics as well! Thanks!!
Student
HPpl4260nDead
Message 19 of 181 (8,390 Views)

Hi,

I wonder where can I find info on how to get the Y sus board out so I can also send mine to PTS.

HP SUCKS and has given me no help only jerked me around wanting me to produce a reciept for the tv 3 years after I bought it.

Yeah I have that right here....Not.

Anyway I got the POP during a DVD and the sound worked until we messed with the remote and changed the inputs blindly.

They totally refuse to help and even told me " We found out we weren't good at making TVs, so we don't sell them anymore"

"You should buy a tv from someone else"

I used to ONLY buy HP computers printers ect. NEVER AGAIN.

Anyone who can help me figure out what part to take off to get the Y sus is my hero.

Thanks

John

Tutor
bamacasher
Message 20 of 181 (8,381 Views)

I did extensive research online to find a manual to pull the board out and found nothing.  I just winged it, and it wasn't that hard.  Once you take the back off the TV, you'll see the large, square-shaped Y SUS board on the left.  There will be a label toward the upper edge of the board with part number and serial number, and it will say Y SUS on it.  Just remove all the screws and disconnect all the cables.  There are two connectors that are hard-mounted on the left side of the board that require the board to slide to the right to disconnect them from the adjacent board.  I had to dissassemble some surrounding parts to get the board out.  Also, I recommend you use an ESD (electrostatic discharge) wrist strap so you don't damage any ESD sensitive parts.  Good luck.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation