Question
Driver for HP DVD 1270i
Replies (19)

Student
CarlCan
Message 11 of 20 (4,679 Views)

Re: Driver for HP DVD 1270i

I'm in the same boat.  I too purchased a dvd 1270i sole for the Lightscribe capabilities.  Neither Lightscribe software or Nero detects this drive as Lightscribe enabled.  I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling both hardware and software, but always with the same results.  I wish I had done my homework, but it seems this is a common problem with this drive considering the sheer volume of complaints I've since found.  I have it installed on a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium.  Any help would be appreciated.

Tutor
MachineMessiah
Message 12 of 20 (4,671 Views)

Have you istalled and updated the LightScribe system files?.

Student
DawnLewa
Message 13 of 20 (4,599 Views)

I had the same problem.  Microsoft Fix It Worked for me.  http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9740811,  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116#survey

Student
shadow4wi
Message 14 of 20 (4,509 Views)

I have this drive and had no issuse with it. I am running the drive on a computer i built myself.

3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Dual Core Processor

FSB 1333 MHz

600 W power supply

2 GB of DDR3 RAM

500 GB SATA Hard Drive

750 GB SATA Hard Drive (Slave Drive)

512 MB Geforce 9400 GT PCI-Express 2.0 Graphic Card

EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW DIGITAL PWM Motherboard

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3

Either you have a defective DVD Burner or you don't know what you are doing. I bought this drive from NewEgg.com on 02/13/2011 and had no problems with it.

Top Student
rrcksc
Message 15 of 20 (3,880 Views)

HP 1270i driver is in the operating system. The DVD player has to work with the motherboard to load the operating system for a "Clean" load when installing a new OS, BEFORE any drivers are loaded. I have a HP 1270i that works with Vista and Windows 7 "crack out of the box", it is a plug-and-play device. 

Top Student
rrcksc
Message 16 of 20 (3,869 Views)

www.lightscribe.com might be of some help. They have drivers and troubleshooting software.

Honor Student
neworion
Message 17 of 20 (3,766 Views)

Microsoft fix-it solved this problem for me (I'm running WIN XP):

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

I found the above link via a Google search for "download WIN XP DVD driver"

I have an HP Media Center PC and a newer 1270i (Windows reports it as a 1270t), once working. After mucking around with a virus I had the same problem - the basic DVD driver was missing.  While it exists on the HP restore ( drive D: ) I can't access that because it is locked/hidden and refuses to unlock.  I could go through HP restore functions, but that is a nightmare.

So, I had a DVD with a driver, but of course, the DVD drive did not work to allow access. 

The 'simple' solution would be to go to HP and download a stardard DVD driver.  Do they have one?  Apparently not.  I downloaded and ran the Lightscribe.exe hoping they would have thought to put a driver in there (they did not - that was too obvious?)

The drive is working now, thanks to Microsoft, no thanks to HP.

Student
dkhiggin
Message 18 of 20 (3,356 Views)

I appreciate the information you provided.  I like many others have tried to get this dvd burner to work.  We purchased it about a year ago.  I did find the Nero CD and the Lightscribe and will try to get it going.  Thanks for your help.

Honor Student
neworion
Message 19 of 20 (2,439 Views)

This is about the 4th time I've been through this routine.  I just spent 20 minutes searching for this post as I couldn't remember where I'd saved the Microsoft repair program. Visit the Microsoft site linked above, click the big green button, download this file and save it where you can find it:

MicrosoftFixit.dvd.RNP.107265196342419407.1.1.Run.exe (340kb)

There are a few simple menu selections as the program runs. I went the auto-fix route.  At one point I selected "my device is not removable".  The Fix-It software soon reported "Your CD/DVD class filter was not recognized" and the problem had been fixed.

The drive still did not work.  However, it took only another minute to use the Windows XP >Control Panel >System Properties >Hardware tab >Device Manager (button) >+DVD/CD-ROM drives >HP DVD Writer.  At this point the DVD had a highlighted (!).  Right click this device and select "uninstall".  Then go to the "Action" menu in the Device Manager window and select "Scan for hardware changes".  This should find the DVD drive and re-install it.  This fixed my DVD drive.

You may want to try to un-install and re-install the DVD before running the MS Fix-It software mentioned above.  Or, perhaps that is what the Fix-It software meant by "remove"?

Student
Woodhick
Message 20 of 20 (2,385 Views)

IT"S THE DRUVE -- WE'VE BOUGHT AN EXPENSIVE DOOR STOP !

Had a different HP SATA DVD Writer installed and working perfectly..

Banged into the tray when it was open and jammed it.

Bought the 1270i because I needed to be back "in business" quickly.

A week trying to get it to work.  I should state I am a Computer Scientist & Electrical Engineer & have been "in the business" for decades.

Finally, unjammed the tray in the old drive & reinstalled it and worked perfectly.

IT'S THE HP 1270i.   When you have a flood of complaints for an "unlisted" product it tells you that HP probably pulled it from the market and discounted it at wholesale to dump the stock rather than crush and recycle.

Nothing more conclusive than an "A" / "B" test.

And the folks who talked about drivers are right -- the out of the box system driver is all you need.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation