Question

Intern
help88
Message 1 of 13 (2,136 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Connected Drive

[ Edited ]

HP Connected Drive is available for download !!!  To download, please click on this link below:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hp-connected-family/downloads.html

How to documents and FAQs for HP Connected Drive are available at www.hp.com/go/hpconnecteddrivesupport

To leave feedbacks and have any questions about the product, please use this discussion board.

I work for HP but do not speak for HP
Student
laschoene
Message 2 of 13 (2,074 Views)

Re: HP Connected Drive

I'm confused about HP Connected Drive. Is this the same as SkyDrive/OneDrive? Or am I totally off base?

It seems that both HP Connected Drive and SkyDrive/OneDrive automatically sync my files... I understand that they are both cloud storage and the idea to store data in the "cloud" so to speak in order to retrieve it at a later time or from another computer, etc. I have an HP computer running Windows 8.1 and both of these are installed.  Is this redundant? Or are they different products? If so, which of the two would you recommend?

Thanks for your help. I hope I don't sound like a total blonde! I love Windows 8 but I'm still getting used to a lot of the features.

Lauren

Intern
help88
Message 3 of 13 (2,016 Views)

Hi Lauren,

HP Connected Drive (HPCD) has a cloud storage competent  like SkyDrive and OneDrive, this means you can store files in the HP cloud. However, the main thing that differentiates HP Connected Drive relative to SkyDrive/OneDrive and other cloud storage services is that with HPCD, you will be able to view and search files across your devices and other cloud services (such as Box). For example, you have an Android tablet and a WIndows PC.  With HP Connected Drive loaded on both devices, you will be able to view and search local as well as files on the cloud and on both of these devices from either your Windows PC or Android tablet. With traditional cloud storage services like SkyDrive and OneDrive, you can only find files that were uploaded to that specific cloud service.

Please continue to use this Forum to ask your questions.

Honor Student
FreddieBendell
Message 4 of 13 (1,629 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @help88 ,

I just got a new HP laptop and it came with "HP Connected Drive" which is apparently a Cloud account.  However, nowhere on the app or on the internet can I find out how much storage is included in this account.  How can I let the app automatically send all my documents, photos and music out to the cloud when I have no idea how much it will take and how much it would cost to add more storage?  And there is no information about the security of the data.

I called HP Tech Support and the tech could NOT answer these questiona at all.  Any ideas?

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 5 of 13 (1,611 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi FreddieBendell, welcome to the HP Forums. I apologize for the frustration in trying to find answers to your HP Connected Drive questions. I believe all technical support for this free service is provided by email support only.

According to the HP Connected Drive FAQ, the app is free. I do not see a means to pay for any additional features. The only limit stipulated is for each individual file you upload: "File size is limited to 100MB for any types of files". This seems to indicate that there is no upper limit for overall storage.

While I am not speaking for HP, I do know that HP takes security very seriously. The description for the HP Connected Drive app download does indicate you get a single login to securely access your files. I am not privy to the technical details on the security employed.

As far as automation, all files must be manually uploaded, more of the 'How To' is covered in this document here: Using HP Connected Drive to Store and Share Files (Windows 8)

Here is additional information that you might find useful: HP Connected Apps Support

I hope this helps.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
Intern
HPalm
Message 6 of 13 (1,538 Views)

I have exactly the same question as FreddieBendell.  I am not sure if HP provides unlimited cloud spage at no charge.  No one does.  OneDrive, Box and Dropbox charge beyond certain GB.  But if HPCD has no limit in user allocated , then that's great.  Could someone please verify this?

I've got a new HP Spectre and want to try HPCD if it can provide me enough space for my documents, photos, videos, etc.

Can I also install HPCD onto my Dell desktop so that I can connect my HP Ultrabook, Dell desktop and Android phone?

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 7 of 13 (1,527 Views)

Hi HPalm. The HP Connected Drive service works in Window 8, and is not vendor specific so it should work on non-HP Windows 8 computers. As far as the available storage, I have no new information than provided in my previous post.

Using HP Connected Drive to Store and Share Files (Windows 8)

I hope this helps.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
Intern
help88
Message 8 of 13 (1,524 Views)

First to answer on the security of HPCD,  HPCD uses advanced encryption to protect your files. 

Regarding using HPCD on Dell Desktop and Android phone, Windows service and Android service are available in Windows App Store and Google Play Store (search for HP Connected Drive).  Make sure that you have the right verion of OS.

For now, just like TwoPointOh mentioned, we don't have more news on charge vs free service.  Please stay tune.  As soon as I hear anything, I will post it right away.

Student
Jahbwoy
Message 9 of 13 (1,308 Views)

Why is HP being so tight-lipped about the storage limits for HP Connected Drive?

This reluctance to disclose such an important detail leads me to speculate as to HP's long-term plans for this service.

If user demand for additional storage capacity exceeds the available storage, HP will be forced to either:

1. Introduce max storage caps for free storage

2. Charge users for additional storage above some TBD max-storage cap.

3. Cancel the service

All of the above options will result in inconvenience to the user. (I was recently bitten by another cloud provider that cancelled their "free" service after about 2 years).

Will HP please clarify whether any limits exist on total "free" storage per account?

Honor Student
FreddieBendell
Message 10 of 13 (1,289 Views)

How much storage is allowed?  How much does it cost? Do you have to pay for extra storage?  How secure is this account?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation