HP Envy X2 Optional Active Stylus Support (19755 Views)
Honor Student
chelmsy
Message 1 of 39 (19,755 Views)

HP Envy X2 Optional Active Stylus Support

I just read a review on the HP Envy X2 tablet hybrid computer.  The review (laptopmag.com), dated December 24, stated that the HP Envy X2 does not support an active stylus.  

The HP product literature states that it has an 'optional' stylus, with a picture of it and the words, "With the optional stylus, enjoy the freedom to work your way. Write, draw, and navigate in more detail without leaving fingerprints or smudges"

Can anyone confirm that the HP Envy X2 *does* support a stylus, and details on the optional stylus that HP shows in their literature?  I will need to cancel my order if the optional stylus is not supported.

Thanks.

Tutor
Finders
Message 2 of 39 (19,743 Views)

Re: HP Envy X2 Optional Active Stylus Support

You can call up an onscreen keyboard. This has an option for handwriting. You can use your finger or a mobile phone type stylus. It is surprisingly accurate.

I too would like a fine point stylus like the one shown as an optional extra in the HP info. One should be included with the Envy X2, given its premium price. Samsung includes one.

Aua Tutor
Tutor
Aua
Message 3 of 39 (19,730 Views)

Hi,

According to the Maintenance and Service Guide, the x2 works with what HP calls the HP Active Pen (part nr 704926–001). Rumor has it that this pen is based on Atmel technology and that it will be available only in 2-3 months. I am also surprised by the claims in laptopmag's review.

Aua

Honor Student
chelmsy
Message 4 of 39 (19,726 Views)

On the HP small business site, I did a search for 'executive pen', and was returned 2 results- one for an HP Executive Tablet Pen for $49, MFG # H4E45AA.  The second result was for a $39 HP Executive Tablet Pen for $39, MFG # H4E45UT.  Both were expected to ship in a couple of weeks.  The description for both pens is the following, note the description states that the pen is for the HP Elite Pad, and not the HP Envy X2:

Write messages and notes in your own handwriting directly on your HP tablet PC screen. Then save it—or convert it to typed text to use in other applications

• You can either use the pen to write on the screen or you can use it to right-click, draw, type, and navigate better than ever with a capacitive tip that offers pin-point accuracy to help improve productivity.
  • Part of the suite of accessories designed for the HP ElitePad to help you turn a true business tablet into a total business solution.
  • Highly sensitive, soft rubber tip clicks and glides smoothly on your tablet and won’t scratch the screen.
  • Work cleaner by using an input device that helps keep fingerprints and germs off the screen.
  • Get the peace of mind of a one-year limited warranty. Additional support is available (North America only) seven days a week, 24 hours a day by phone as well as through online support forums.

Top Student
Scott_Envy_User
Message 5 of 39 (18,865 Views)

This thread is over two month's old.  I have not seen any evidence that anybody has found a stylus that will work.  I also have not found a stylus that works on my own.  I've tested several.  Has anybody discovered anything that will work  with the Envy X2?

Top Student
computerlove87
Message 6 of 39 (18,416 Views)

I know it is only circumstantial evidence, but if you look about 3/4 of the way down this page:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/envy-x2/features.html

The envy x2 is pictured next to a stylus that looks JUST LIKE the hp executive pen:

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.aspx?cache=-1473075972&culture=en-US&sku=10468691

I just ordered my X2, and I would love to have my pen waiting at my doorstep at the same time as my envy!

SOOOO...anyone willing to be a guinea pig and risk $50? LOL

Top Student
computerlove87
Message 7 of 39 (18,272 Views)

[ Edited ]

They took it down!!!!

They had the pen picture on their features mini-site and they took it down.

HP if the x2 doesn't have an active digitizer, I am stopping payment on my order and you have lost a lifelong customer... I am sick of the broken promises

Do you know how many people bought this thinking it would have an active pen available in the future? I bet you are about to hit a well-deserved wave of returns and complaints if it doesn't...

Top Student
computerlove87
Message 8 of 39 (18,270 Views)

Here is the proof, google cached page from feb 25th:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Tmem_mpcwDYJ:www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/envy-x2/featu...

now compare to the new one:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/envy-x2/features.html

HP, you can't just do that, that is a very poor way to operate a business.

Aua Tutor
Tutor
Aua
Message 9 of 39 (18,253 Views)

It's still on France's HP store website:

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/FranceStore/Merch/show.aspx?p=c-envy-x2-features

but it has disappeared from the Swiss page:

http://www8.hp.com/ch/fr/ad/envy-x2/overview.html

What the heck is this!!!???

Top Student
computerlove87
Message 10 of 39 (18,129 Views)

When I chat with HP reps now they tell me that by 'optional stylus' they mean you have the 'option to use a stylus' as in one of those horrible rubber tip el-cheapo styluses!...

Yeah right HP, as if the original verbiage wasn't supposed to indicate an active stylus. The least you can do is own up to your mistake and offer options for those who were affected by it, not just try to bury it and weasel your way out of it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation