Question

Student
wafflesalmighty
Message 1 of 3 (627 Views)

HP HD Webcam 3100 not working in Windows 8

I have a HP HD Webcam 3100, the webcam works through the application that came with it, but whenever I try to use the webcam on YouTube or Omegle it never picks up the camera. The application is up and running when I try this and that doesn't work, I've even cut the app off and the camera still doesn't work. I run Windows 8 and think it may be time for a new webcam if this one isn't going to work with it.

Teacher
CassieCat07
Message 2 of 3 (600 Views)

Re: HP HD Webcam 3100 not working in Windows 8

You need to download a driver for it, which can be found on the HP webpage I linked below. 

HP HD 3100 Driver

You will have to install the Windows 7 driver, either 32 or 64 bit to match your Windows 8 OS. It's fine to do this and usually works - I have lots of older peripherals running on Win 7 drivers on a Windows 8 PC. 

Student
mcav
Message 3 of 3 (325 Views)

Re: HP HD Webcam 3100 not working in Windows 8

I'm afraid the Windows 7 driver doesn't cut it. It is fine for most purposes but for example, neither the Windows 8 camera app, nor Skype for Modern UI will recognise that the camera exists. I am encountering this issue and it is quite disappointing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation