HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
10-17-2009 03:41 AM
I am the proud owner of an LG Slimline GP08 USB multi bla bla bla external rewriter with lightScribe AND a stack of HP lightscribe DVDs. They do not talk to each other: out of the stack, one disk got labelled correctly. The other nine are not seen as lightscribe disks by the LG drive.
The data side works on all of them: I can write files and folders from any application that supports writing to optical media
I tested all of them several times each connecting the drive to an HP 530 and a Dell notebook. In both cases, I tested running Windows XP and Windows 7
I did all of the following:
- made sure every time the lightscribe side was down and the sensor and laser were pointing at the lightscribe coating (I write this to avoid wasting anyone's time repeating the obvious
- made sure the drive is write-enabled (again, not to waste your time
- updated the firmware for the drive
- updated the lightscribe system software at lightscribe.com on both notebooks on both OSs, four updates
- tested with Lightscribe SImple Labeler and Lightscribe Template Labeler
- tested with Nero 7 Essentials (bundled with the drive), tested with the update to Nero 7 Essentials at nero.com
- uninstalled and reinstalled the device in Windows Device Manager
- uninstalled and reinstalled all the labelling applications, one at a time
- cleaned every disk, especially the lightscribe bar code, carefully and scrupulously (both my grandmothers would be very proud to call these disks their own)
The result is always the same: after about 2 minutes, the drive ejects the disk and I get an “please insert lightscribe media” error 4114. What is interesting is that the same drive ejects instantly any non-lightscribe media.
My conclusion is that it sees something about the HP disks that seem to look like lightscribe but after a while, it is not quite the kind of lightscribe it wants.
Finally, another obvious option would be to try a different brand such as Verbatim, TDK, or Maxell which LG support claim they recommend.
If anyone has an address where I can buy any of those three brands in Kyiv, Ukraine, where I live and work, please tell me.
I am posting this on hp.com. lightscribe.com and lg.com plus a large number of independent forums such as cdfreaks.com
Thanks in advance for any help.