Question

Student
Blorky
Message 1 of 19 (11,661 Views)

HP MediaVault MV2010 Problem

I have an HP MV2010 and it has stopped working.  All I have is the power light on the front, and the powere suppply LED on the back that are turned on.  All the front panel indicators for drive activity and network connectivity are off. 

If I pull the power cord and re-insert it I get the front panel lights to flash once, then they go off again.

Is there anyone who can help me determine what the problem is?

Thanks in advance.

Honor Student
dmwgso
Message 2 of 19 (11,560 Views)

Re: HP MediaVault MV2010 Problem

I'm having the same problem.  Was assuming the system disk died, but replacing it hasn't made it any difference (still not booting).
Honor Student
jam20jam20
Message 3 of 19 (11,413 Views)

Hello, my MV2010 just started having the same problem. Did anyone respond with a solution? Thanks,
Student
smacar01
Message 4 of 19 (11,437 Views)

I am having the same trouble with my media vault.  Green light in back (near power cord), but won't turn on no matter how long I hold the on-off button down.

Any answers out there????

Student
behol105
Message 5 of 19 (11,403 Views)

I had the same problem.  There is a recessed reset button on the back of the unit right below the USB ports.  I used a small phillips screwdriver bit and depressed this button until the drives started spinning (10-20 secs) and the red disk light was flickering.  It came back online.  It is however a reset.  The time zone some other settings were reset to factory defaults but not a big deal for me.  Hope this helps.
Honor Student
Aggie
Message 6 of 19 (11,232 Views)

I now have the same problem. The disk starts up, appears to die, MV stays on and won't turn off unless I unplug it. I tried depressing the restart button at the back behind the USB ports, but that just brought up the yellow disk icon briefly and then it disappeared again. I assume this means the motherboard is dead and needs to be replaced. What a mess. Any other thoughts?
Honor Student
Aggie
Message 7 of 19 (11,226 Views)

I found this information on the web.

Dead MV1 troubleshooting

A 'dead' MV1 may either be completely unresponsive or just the front panel button comes on but nothing else happens when you try to power it up.  If the front panel button comes on and it appears to start powering up, but the front panel OK light never illuminates and you have to unplug it to get the power button light to go off, then here is a list of things to try for troubleshooting:

1.  If there is no sign of life at all when you plug it in and push the power button, then you may have a bad power supply.  To check for this, see if the green LED on the back of the power supply is lit.  If not, either you do not have it plugged into a live outlet or the power supply is really dead.  The power supply is not a standard ATX supply.  It's physically smaller and has a non-standard mini plug.  Its pinout is the same as the ATX standard, if you know how to test for voltages on an ATX power supply, then you can employ the same technique on the MV1's power supply to confirm whether it's working or not.  The best way to get a new one would be to scavenge one from another MV1 (possibly one that has a failed motherboard or hard drive, for instance.) or from a HP slimline PC in the a7600y family.  The MV1's  power supply was leveraged from that product line.

2.  If the blue light behind the power button comes on when you press it, but no other front panel LED lights up, or they light up just temporarily,  then you have one of three issues:

a.  There is a corrupted NVRAM variable that is preventing the Linux OS  from booting.  Use the hard reset and see if that fixes it.  If not then go to the next step.

b.  The operating system (OS) may be corrupted or the hard drive has gone bad.  If the OS is corrupted, when the Linux system is trying to boot, it gets stuck.  To check if this is the problem, open the unit and disconnect the SATA cable to the internal drive.   This will allow it to boot up into the CFE (a type of BIOS) but no further.  The CFE does have the ability to get a DHCP address and if it does, it will illuminate the network light.   This is what the network LED looks like ->  .  At this stage, the unit will respond to the 'ping' command only.  You can test this if you remember the MV's IP address (it usually a router continues to assign it the same one) or you may look at your router's DHCP table to find the IP address.  In a DOS window on a PC, type "ping 192.168.1.101" and see if it responds. (substitute the actual IP address or your MV1, of course).  If it responds, then the power supply and motherboard are probably OK.  Then the best course of action, if you have to recover data, would be to get a fresh SATA drive and install it in place of the original drive and then use Nasload to put the OS on it.  If the corruption is limited to the original drive's OS partition and did not affect the data partition, you should be able to put the original drive in the mobile rack and recover its data.  Of course, if the hard drive has gone bad, then you won't be able to recover its data.  If you had a mirror, then you should be able to get the data back from that drive. 

If the drive has no data on it that you need to preserve, you can always try removing it and formatting it on a PC.  Anything other than its native format will make it appear blank when you use Nasload.

c.  If a. or b. don't fix the problem, then it's possible that the motherboard has gone bad.  One user reported that simply removing the motherboard's battery for a few minutes and reinstalling it fixed a motherboard so you may wish to try that. If it doesn't work, then the only solution for a failed motherboard is to find another one, possibly on eBay or on the Media Vault Yahoo Group.   If all you're worried about is the data on the drive, there is a technique that utilizes a Linux system to pull the data, but be forewarned, it requires above average Linux skills and it's not as easy as recovering the data on a working MV1.  Also, please avoid the use of any PC data recovery tools on the MV1 drive.  Its format is not standard and so there are no commercial data recovery tools known to work with it.

Student
Bloomer53
Message 8 of 19 (10,532 Views)

We find in almost all cases a full 10 second reset on the vault resolves this issue. If not please call for support. Out of warranty support for this product is free.

Student
jessekuntz
Message 9 of 19 (10,491 Views)

The reset worked for me.  Thanks!

Student
smacar02
Message 10 of 19 (10,488 Views)

Dismantling the device and removing the motherboard battery, cables/wiring, and reassembling the MV seemed to work for me. No problems since... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation