Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I can't seem to do a simple task with the HP Prime. I just want to store a number in a variable while in RPN mode. How do I do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Enter the number onto the stack. Type 'A', remember to use the ' ' (SHIFT on the ( ) button) then SHIFT STO (on the EEX button).

HTH

-Bart

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

Enter the number onto the stack. Type 'A', remember to use the ' ' (SHIFT on the ( ) button) then SHIFT STO (on the EEX button).

HTH

-Bart
HP Recommended

I'm not sure it's made clear in the manual. Also on the Prime in RPN mode, any algebraic expression (e.g. a function in an app) needs to be entered with the ' ' .

By the way, there is a manual available that may be newer than that shipped with the Prime:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/bsc-408/13750/1/HP_Prime_User_Guide_EN.pdf

(all are edition 1, but the date on p3 is different)

The 50g often automatically puts the ' ' in. The Prime needs it explicitly put in when using RPN.

From this we can see that the 50G is an RPN calculator with Algebraic Mode added on. The Prime is an algebraic calculator with RPN added on.

By the way, a caution, the Spreadsheet App is not stable when using RPN mode.

Happy calculating.

-Bart

I am in RPN mode:

why can i not store 25 gal/min into a variable?????

why can i not create the following formula in the solve app?

PRESSURE * FLOW = POWER

and enter units for each of the above variables to have the calculator solve for power and show the result in horsepower?

HP Recommended

I am in RPN mode:

why can I not store 25 gal/min into a variable named FLOW???

why can I not create the following formula in the solve app?

PRESSURE * FLOW = POWER

and enter units for each of the above variables to have the calculator solve for power and show the result in horsepower?

i am totally fustrated!!! this should be basic stuff for the HP Prime Calculator

HP Recommended

Hi

Please see the following thread:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/archv021.cgi?read=252806#252806

-Bart
HP Recommended
I can do log 10, but how do you change the base unit to say somthing like log3
HP Recommended

The easiest way to find the log of X base Y is LOG(X,Y).  Example: LOG(81,3) returns 4, because the log of 81 (base 3) is 4.  In Home, this is the easiest way because LOG and comma are primary keys.

Hint: in Home, press the Help key, then tap the Keys button, then press the LOG key.  Cool, huh?

You can also use the logb command, which looks nicer in Textbook Display mode.  It's the second-to-last item on the template key (next to the Toolbox key).

Caution: In CAS, LOG(x,y) must be spelled in uppercase, and logb(x,y) must be spelled in lowercase.  In Home, it doesn't matter.

Hope that helps!

-Joe-
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.