Question

Student
KBBurrows
Message 1 of 3 (4,032 Views)

HP SimpleSave External Hard Drive - Can't Access Files, Says to Re-Format

I have had a SimpleSave External Hard Drive for over a year now, and have never had any problems with it.

Recently, I am unable to access my files on the hard drive when it is attached to my computer.  It tries to load, and then gives me the error message "You need to format the disk in drive H: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?".  I don't want to format it because I don't want to lose all of the files that I have stored.  When I press "Cancel" i also get the error message "H:\ is not accessible. Data error (cyclic redundancy check). 

I have not changed anything recently so I do not understand why it has all of a sudden stopped working.

I am using an HP notebook (G62 Notebook PC) and Windows 7 Home Premium operating system.

I am connected to the hard drive via USB.  I have tried turning off my computer and turning it back on, and unplugging the drive.  I have tried using other USB outlets.  

My SimpleSave information: model no hp md1000h 
P/N HPBAAD0010HBK-00

The blue light is still blinking on the front of the hard drive.

I would like to access my files and get the external hard drive working properly again.  Please help!

Thanks in advance! 

Honor Student
sequimbob
Message 2 of 3 (3,863 Views)

Re: HP SimpleSave External Hard Drive - Can't Access Files, Says to Re-Format

I have a similar problem.   I have a HD Simple Save HDD with a USB hookup.  It shows up as drive G on my computer.  Whenever I reboot, I get this error message that tells me there is no hard drive in drive g.  I click on cancel and the computer completes it's boot up.  When I open My Computer the drive shows in red but everything seems to work okay as I can do restores and backups normally.  I have tried to contact HP support and they always ask for the name or the equipment.  I put in HP Simple Save  and the Part number of HPBAAD0010KBK-00, it can never find that number and gives me several (137 to be exact) other choices, none of which are my unit.  I would like to get rid of the error.  Any ideas on how to get rid of the error and/or contact HP Support

Student
ElenaTe
Message 3 of 3 (3,829 Views)

Re: HP SimpleSave External Hard Drive - Can't Access Files, Says to Re-Format

I too have the exact same problem on my HP SimpleSave (sd500a) external hard drive. I got through to WDC, and they apparently support these devices now. They asked me to send them a copy of my purchase receipt in order to extend my warranty in their system in order to help me (ridiculous!!). I sent the scanned copy of the receipt to support@wdc.com, and got an auto-reply that they will get back to me within 1 day. I also went on their website, and they refer to the device in their system as 'ED Caviar Blue EIDE Hard Drive'. It has the same serial number as my product from HP, so I guess they have acquired these products or at least support of them (?). In any case, I'm freaking out because I have tons of family pictures, video and my entire iTunes library on the device. If any one is able to get help for this, please respond. I am desperate to get this resolved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation