HP dvd1260 not showing up in Windows XP (1617 Views)
Student
am529
Message 1 of 2 (1,617 Views)

HP dvd1260 not showing up in Windows XP

I run both Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows XP service pack 3 on my computer.

After (physically) installing the dvd drive, it worked fine in Ubuntu without me having to do anything, but in Windows XP it doesn't even show it in My Computer.

It does show up in the Device Manager, as HP DVD Writer 1260r, but has the error "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

I checked my BIOS settings and the drive is in "auto" mode, so I don't think that's what the problem is.

Why would Windows be saying that it can't find the hardware device?

Distinguished Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 2 (1,608 Views)

Re: HP dvd1260 not showing up in Windows XP

am529 wrote:

I run both Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows XP service pack 3 on my computer.

After (physically) installing the dvd drive, it worked fine in Ubuntu without me having to do anything, but in Windows XP it doesn't even show it in My Computer.

It does show up in the Device Manager, as HP DVD Writer 1260r, but has the error "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

I checked my BIOS settings and the drive is in "auto" mode, so I don't think that's what the problem is.

Why would Windows be saying that it can't find the hardware device?

Hi,

Uninstall the dvd driver from the Device Manager and reboot. If that won't work, install some free driver updater and try to update the driver. Code 41 means driver problems so make sure that there is the latest one..

Dv6-7000 /Core i5-3210M/GF 650M/8GB/Intel Wireless-AC 7260/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Jessie

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation