HP dvd840 external dvd writer is unknown device in Device Manager (349 Views)
Top Student
grandmagail
Message 1 of 3 (349 Views)

HP dvd840 external dvd writer is unknown device in Device Manager

Hi,

I haven't used my HP dvd840 external dvd writer im a while. I plugged it in to my Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop and it came up as an "unknown device" in device manager.  My OS is Windows XP Pro.

It is listed under usb controllers, not DVD drives and there is no driver installed. I tried installing the latest driver but got the message “cannot  initialize! 2815”.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks,

Gail

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 3 (331 Views)

Re: HP dvd840 external dvd writer is unknown device in Device Manager

Have you tried connecting the external DVD drive to another PC or notebook?

Do that first to isolate the issue to the notebook of the external DVD drive.

Just out of curiousity, have you ever updated the firmware to the latest version?

Is your DVD writer an HP dvd840i or an e? There is a difference.

Best regards,

erico

****If you found that my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
grandmagail
Message 3 of 3 (310 Views)

Re: HP dvd840 external dvd writer is unknown device in Device Manager

I haven't had a chance to try connecting device to another computer yet, but I am certainly going to try that. 

Yes, I have updated the firmware to the latest version when I used the device in the past, but I don't know if there have been other updates since then.

I am not sure if I have an 840e or 840i.  It only says dvd840 on the front, and on the bottom, it actually says 840y. I seem to remember it saying 840e in device manager when it was installed in the past.

Thank you so much for your reply, erico.

Gail

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation