HP x4000b bluetooth mouse---how to change the batteries? (6309 Views)
Honor Student
acherylb
Message 1 of 10 (6,309 Views)

HP x4000b bluetooth mouse---how to change the batteries?

Holy cow, I've been on the phone with Technical Support for 56 minutes now and counting, plus been transferred three times for a total of four people who ask me the SAME QUESTIONS (serial number, product number, first name, last name, email address).

I bought an HP x4000b bluetooth optical mouse one week ago. It is supposed to have a 9-month battery life. However, it quit working, I tried reconnecting, shutting laptop down, etc., and it still didn't work. So I tried to change the batteries. (Who knows how long they've been in there since factory shipment.)

I removed the top cover, and tried to remove the two AA batteries. Oh my F god, they won't come out no matter how much I try to pry them out with scissors or a screw driver. They won't budge.

So I try to call HP Support, figuring this is an easy, no-brainer question. Now it's 59 minutes on the phone and counting.

How come there is no documentation online, in the box, or on the HP site that tells me how to change the freakin' batteries?! And how come nobody at HP Support can tell me how to pry those freakin' things out without damaging the unit??

This is the worst freakin' experience I have EVER had with technical support. It's now been 70 minutes and I still can't get the factory installed batteries out without damaging the mouse housing.

PIECE OF CRAP, with piss poor technical support to boot.

Intern
Lharri
Message 2 of 10 (6,278 Views)

Re: HP x4000b bluetooth mouse---how to change the batteries?

The only instructions I could find were from Best Buy and they implied that once the cover was opened there should be no reason why the batteries would not come out easily. See at the link below.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP---Wireless-Bluetooth-Laser-Mouse---Black/6894365.p?id=1218811214782&s...

I hope you were able to get resolution and if so you might share what appeared to be the problem in your specific case.

Please click the white Kudos star to the left if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
Honor Student
acherylb
Message 3 of 10 (6,268 Views)

Thank you for your reply. I ended returning the product to the store, because those batteries simply were not coming out without damaging the plastic housing. (They were in at an awkward angle, and no amount of prying would get them out, without breaking the unit.)
Intern
Lharri
Message 4 of 10 (6,263 Views)

That does sound like the only solution in your case. According to what I ready in the instructions they should have easily come loose once the compartment was opened.

Please click the white Kudos star to the left if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
Tutor
knetknight
Message 5 of 10 (6,199 Views)

I just got this mouse tonight and had to look a bit too but the batteries actually do come out very easily.

1. Pop off the cover.

2. Press down on the two plastic tabs just above the batteries and this releases a small plastic holder which you then just slide completely out and set aside. (This is probaby the step you were understandably missing because the tabs are small-ish and their purpose isn't documented or readily apparent)

3. With thiis holder out of the way, the batteries have plenty of clearance and can be removed by hand.

4. Replace the batteries, put the plastic clip back into place, reattach the cover, done.

Not hard but the holding clip is not obvious or inuitive and should at the very least have been documented in the guide. It's a nice little mouse though, I'm happy with it, and hope this helps someone.

Cya

Tutor
knetknight
Message 6 of 10 (6,197 Views)

Better yet, here are some pictures of the mouse open which show the plastic piece removed so you can better know what to expect. Interestingly, I learned there is also a small area between the batteries which is the right size to store most/many of the small usb bluetooth adapters that are common now.

x4000-series-battery-compartment.jpg

Honor Student
ka5p
Message 7 of 10 (6,035 Views)

Sure wish someone would explain HOW to get the top cover off! I can do it BUT it is VERY difficult -- really feel I am going to break something the next time. Once the top is off;  I have had no issue replacing the batteries. Getting the top off is my problem.

Honor Student
basssinger
Message 8 of 10 (2,577 Views)

Thank the Gods someone knew how to get those little suckers out, again thanks.

Student
jfl45
Message 9 of 10 (1,697 Views)

Remove the blue piece by pushing down on the two protruding tabs. Then the batteries pop out no prob. Hopefully the scissors and screwdrivers didn't do your mouse in for good already.

Student
Dublin14
Message 10 of 10 (1,641 Views)

I just got a x4000B and my first thought after reading the few lines that is the manual is that this is disposable as cannot change the batteries. Bizarre omission (perhaps HP hope you will buy a new one every 9 months. :-) Thankfully as per post above there are batteries and now I know how to remove them. It is not obvious how to remove the top but using just a finger and levering from the pointed end of the cover (closest to you) it opened very easily.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation