Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Can someone tell me how to enter a word or phrase into an HP 35s?  I have searched and researched but cannot find any direction.  Thanks!!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am assuming you wish to enter a text in a program and display it on the screen when the program runs.

To display "MESSAGE", enter the following program:

M001    LBL M
M002    SF 10
M003    MESSAGE
M004    PSE
M005    CF 10
M006    RTN

the following keystrokes: (RS = Right Shift (blue), LS = Left Shift (orange))
RS PRGM            enter program mode
RS LBL M           label program M
LS FLAGS 1 .0      set flag 10
EQN RCL M          puts letter M
RCL E              puts letter E
RCL S              puts letter S
RCL A              puts letter A
RCL G              puts letter G
ENTER              finishes line M003
RS PSE             pause while calculator displays message
LS FLAGS 2 .0      clears flag 10
LS RTN             Returns to start
RS PRGM            exits program mode
XEQ M ENTER        displays "MESSAGE" for 2-3 seconds

Warning, do not forget step M004, as the calculator will lock up and you will loose any saved programmes. See HP-35s bug list .

HTH
Bart

-Bart

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I am assuming you wish to enter a text in a program and display it on the screen when the program runs.

To display "MESSAGE", enter the following program:

M001    LBL M
M002    SF 10
M003    MESSAGE
M004    PSE
M005    CF 10
M006    RTN

the following keystrokes: (RS = Right Shift (blue), LS = Left Shift (orange))
RS PRGM            enter program mode
RS LBL M           label program M
LS FLAGS 1 .0      set flag 10
EQN RCL M          puts letter M
RCL A              puts letter A
RCL G              puts letter G
ENTER              finishes line M003
RS PSE             pause while calculator displays message
LS FLAGS 2 .0      clears flag 10
LS RTN             Returns to start
RS PRGM            exits program mode
XEQ M ENTER        displays "MESSAGE" for 2-3 seconds

Warning, do not forget step M004, as the calculator will lock up and you will loose any saved programmes. See HP-35s bug list .

HTH
Bart

-Bart

Thanks Bart.  I could not find any info on the EQN RCL "letter" RCL "next letter" anywhere.  

HP Recommended

Believe me, you are not the first person to struglle with this. They don't make the manuals like they used to :). That's why I thought an example would demonstrate it best.

Actually it is an equation that is being entered. The calculator knows to display it instead of evaluating it by setting flag 10.

Have fun programming :Wink:

By the way, the HP Community - Calculators Forum is a good source of help.

Bart

-Bart

I dont get the purpose of the flag status.here a test program I wrote to see how differently it behaves with and without the flags

B001    LBL B

B002    RPN

B003    CLSTK

B004    CLVARS

B005    SF 10

B006    1

B007    INPUT I

B008    X=Y?

B009    GTO B022

B010    2

B011    RCL I

B012    X=Y?

B013    GTO B025

B014    3

B015    RCL I

B016    X=Y?

B017    GTO B028

B018    4

B019    RCL I

B020    X=Y?

B021    GTO B031

B022    NUM 1 CHOSEN

B023    PSE

B024    RTN

B025    NUM 2 CHOSEN

B026    PSE

B027    RTN

B028    NUM 3 CHOSEN

B029    PSE

B030    RTN

B031    NUM 4 CHOSEN

B032    PSE

B033    RTN

B035    CF 10

B036    RTN

Brief Description:  this test program prompts for an input, so if I input 1, the prog jumps to line B022  if I enter 2, it jumps to line B025 and similary for inputs 3 & 4. The program works the same way with and without flag 10 being set. So why should I use this flag at all?? what am I missing?

HP Recommended

@ilikepi wrote:

I dont get the purpose of the flag status.here a test program I wrote to see how differently it behaves with and without the flags

B001    LBL B

B002    RPN

B003    CLSTK

B004    CLVARS

B005    SF 10

B006    1

B007    INPUT I

B008    X=Y?

B009    GTO B022

B010    2

B011    RCL I

B012    X=Y?

B013    GTO B025

B014    3

B015    RCL I

B016    X=Y?

B017    GTO B028

B018    4

B019    RCL I

B020    X=Y?

B021    GTO B031

B022    NUM 1 CHOSEN

B023    PSE

B024    RTN

B025    NUM 2 CHOSEN

B026    PSE

B027    RTN

B028    NUM 3 CHOSEN

B029    PSE

B030    RTN

B031    NUM 4 CHOSEN

B032    PSE

B033    RTN

B035    CF 10

B036    RTN

Brief Description:  this test program prompts for an input, so if I input 1, the prog jumps to line B022  if I enter 2, it jumps to line B025 and similary for inputs 3 & 4. The program works the same way with and without flag 10 being set. So why should I use this flag at all?? what am I missing?

Hi ilikepi,

Flag 10 tells the calculator that you wish to display text and not evaluate an equation.

1) for INPUT, the flag need not be set, the variable name is automatically diplayed and entry expected.

2) When I run your program with flag 10 clear, I get "SYNTAX ERROR" at line B022, B025, B028 and B031 respectively.

2) Your program never reaches the second last line: "CF 10". So after you ran your program the first time flag 10 remained set even if you removed the line "B005 SF10", and displayed lines B022, B025, B028 and B031 as you expected. (to be sure flag 10 is clear, manually clear it before running the program).

Hope this helps

Bart

-Bart

Thanks for the reply, clear & concise. When you mentioned you got a syntax error, I realised flag 10 was set all along. I might have set it and forgotten to clear it after that. No wonder it didnt make a difference, the {Content Edited} thing was on all the time. :D. I"m probably going to leave flag 10 on at all times, hopefully wouldnt cause any problems. Once again, I appreciate you helping me out on this one. BRgds

HP Recommended
Hi ilikepi,

If you keep flag 10 set, then when you have an equation in your program that you wish to be calculated, it will be displayed instead.

Best regards
Bart
-Bart
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.