Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am trying to install my Scanjet 4470c scanner on my new computer with Windows 10 64bit  OS.  I seem to have loaded from the original disc successfully, but with an error message and the program does not recognize the scanner.  I presume this is due to an out of date driver, but I am not sure.

Has anybody had this same problem?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello Rich Mercer,

Are you jumping from Windows XP to Windows 10 by chance?

IF so, that scanner was not supported with proper drivers past XP. That's why it is not recognized by the software install.

Here is a list of scanner models that are not compatible with Windows 8 (and 10).

I'm sorry.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response, it is very encouraging.  I have followed your suggestion and have d/l the s/w from VueScan, i.e. VueScan 9 x64 and it installed ok.  When I tried to run it, it stalled and gave me this message: "VueScan found an HP ScanJet 4470, but no HP software for this scanner was found on your system. Try downloading a driver for this scanner from www.hp.com."  I reinstalled HP Scanjet 4400c as I had already done, and it still gave me the message.  I presume the original driver is on the original disc so I am not sure what to do now.

What do you suggest?

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Rich, I didnt suggest to use VueScan.

The list I gave you shows your model is NOT compatible with Windows 8 or 10.

Im guessing you read the suggestion at the bottom of that article for VueScan. Those alternative programs are for compatible models if they are not listed in that article.

If you scroll down further on the VueScan page, you will see this:

vuescan.jpg

Reason being, VueScan wont work without the proper driver for that scanner installed first. VueScan only creates functionality thats missing due to no full feature software available. It does not include the driver to communicate between devices.

The driver on the disk is outdated and will not work either.

Rule of Thumb: You always want to first check online for the latest driver available for any device you are installing. Even if you just purchased a new printer.

Sorry for the confusion.

HP Recommended

I will admit though that when I first discovered VueScan way back in the day, I made the same mistake you did. :smileyembarrassed:

HP Recommended

Further to your message, I am trying to go from XP directly to Win 10

I meant to say I reinstalled 4470c, not 4400c.

HP Recommended

At this point, what should I do?

Should I delete the VueScan s/w and install a different program.  If so, what s/w would you suggest?

HP Recommended

OK... at the risk of putting it bluntly as you're still confused...

Your Scanner Will Not Work on Windows 10...Period.

There is NO program that will make it work.

VUESCAN will not work.

What I suggest:

The only way to get a scanner to work on your new computer is to buy a new scanner that is Windows 10 compatible. There is no other way around it. I'm sorry.

In the words of the Italian Godfather...  "Capeesh?"

HP Recommended

OK, thanks for your patience with me.

I will take this as final and spring for a new scanner that is Win 10 compatible and try to find another use for this old, dependable and obsolete  scanner on some other computer on my home network.

...And thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Not sure if a regular flatbed from an All-in-One printer will work or if you need the capabilities of a dedicated scanner.

I just came back from Costco tonight with a new AiO and all the HP models on the shelf were Windows 10 upgradable. I stood there and checked online for this as I shopped. I went with the 4635 Wireless as its ink cartriges (61xl) were the same size but cheaper than the other models cartridges.

Something to maybe think about when your shopping.

Good luck. :generic:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.