Question

Tutor
BeechV35Pilot
Message 1 of 1 (1,209 Views)

MediaSmart EX490's WHS connector and Win7 - major problems

I just received my new MediaSmart EX490 yesterday.  After installing the MediaSmart WHS connector on my Win7 release candidate 32-bit system for the first time, the WHS connector was able to connect and interact with the MediaSmart server.

However, upon rebooting my client PC two major issues occurred when the Windows environment came back up: 

1)  The WHS connector icon in the Win system tray was greyed out.  When right clicking on it and trying to force the connector to find the server, nothing happenened.

2)  More importantly:  My entire Windows environment became unusable- could not display any control panel applets (window would open but would be blank and mouse pointer remained at "thinking").  I tried to launch IE 8.0 and nothing happened.  Could no longer launch Firefox.  Without being able to isolate this problem I had no choice but to restore my Win7 install from a backup image I created prior to the installation of the WHS software.

I have confirmed this behavior by restoring from a backup system image taken prior to installing the WHS connector, reinstalling it, and testing again - same results. Note that all of my desktop drivers are up-to-date for Win7.   Furthermore, for one of the tests I chose to run the WHS install under the Vista compatibility option and after attempting a reboot I was greeted with a black screen - even worse than my previous attempts.

What is going on here?  Since my primary desktop is Win7, I am basically unable to interact with my new MediaSmart server.  If this had been early summer I might be able to accept that HP is not supporting Win7 yet but with less than two weeks to go until the official release of WIn7, that stance would be rather weak.  

Any suggestions on what is happening or how to work around the problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation