Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

For those having problems (bogus stops at step 2 or 3 of 4), here are some tips:

1. A crossover cable shouldn't be necessary, the MediaCenter's NIC card does it automatically.

2. In working with HP support,  my fix came from the following steps:

- Boot the host OS (Win7 in my case) in SAFE MODE with NETWORKING.

- Give the NIC (no wireless network cards, kids... turn 'em off!) a static IP address of:

169.37.37.43   (should default to a gateway of 255.255.0.0   - make the IP gateway the same as the IP address

3. Run the HP WHS Recovery program.  I ran it as Administrator just in case.   SUCCESS!

GOOD LUCK!

HP Recommended

This is how I solved this issue:

Disable all antvirus and firewalls (including the Domain Firewall in control panel>firewall>advanced settings) and/or reboot into safe mode with networking (hold f8 on startup) and run the recovery from there.

I hope this helps; HP certainly doesn't seem to care.

HP Recommended
A quick reply for anyone searching this problem in the future.  The following worked for me.  
Thanks nemowho!  I was ready to throw my server out the window!

@nemowho wrote:

For those having problems (bogus stops at step 2 or 3 of 4), here are some tips:

1. A crossover cable shouldn't be necessary, the MediaCenter's NIC card does it automatically.

2. In working with HP support,  my fix came from the following steps:

- Boot the host OS (Win7 in my case) in SAFE MODE with NETWORKING.

- Give the NIC (no wireless network cards, kids... turn 'em off!) a static IP address of:

169.37.37.43   (should default to a gateway of 255.255.0.0   - make the IP gateway the same as the IP address

3. Run the HP WHS Recovery program.  I ran it as Administrator just in case.   SUCCESS!

GOOD LUCK!

HP Recommended

Thanks for this. I have been fighting with an EX490. Setting the gateway to the computer IP solved it.

HP Recommended

Just another tip for others that may be searching this topic.....

Don't be an idiot like me and name your server the same as your network workgroup.  I did this and couldn't get the connector software to find my server.  I finally figured out what I did, did another server restore, renamed the server and everything worked fine.  :smileyindifferent:

HP Recommended

my recovery attempt fails on step 4 of 4.

Anyone any ideas?

i have done all suggested items and gradually work through from errors on step 2 and 3, but can not get past 4.

I originally had to do this because of the blinking blue health light, ran chkdsk on the disk and that resolved it for a few days, then the same again, chkdsk runs through ok, so i went for the server recovery.

I wonder if the drive is toast, but is happily seen by my win 7 machine.

I formatted the partition as a last resort, still failed on step 4. 

HP Recommended

In the end, I took Drive 1 out of the server and connected it to another computer. Found that it was failing SMART. I replaced the drive with a new WD Cavier Black (5 yr warranty). Did the server restore and recovered the data from Drive 2.

Took multiple tries before I could get Server Recovery running. Finally had to set a static IP on the working computer, and set the gateway IP to the computer IP. PITA.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your prompt reply. From doing more reading around this, it looks like a new drive is the best way forward.

I will look to get a known brand with a good warranty. from reading other forums, they suggest a non "green" drive, i guess so it does not power down so much.

As the drive seems to be used ok in my desktop, i will probably use it in their as yet another way of backing up data.

I am a DBA on mainframes, so backing up in multiple places comes naturally.. :generic:

I will let the forum know how i get on when i get the drive. Thanks everyone. 

HP Recommended

ran seagate drive through SEATOOLS long scan and it found some errors and self corrected then resulting in a PASS, so i loaded the drive into the server and tried again.

No go.

Bit the bullet and ordered a 2 TB WD Caviar Green as the price was good.

Loaded into server and Hey Presto, the restore went through.

I started the laptop in safemode with networking and disabled the wireless.

Didn't need to do the static IP address thingy.

Now in the process of putting a few bits and pieces like squeezebox back on.

Thanks for everyones help,

It would seem that the people on the forum are more help than the HP site. 

Keep up the good work. 

HP Recommended

Secrets to get past failure at step 3.

Connect the computer DIRECTLY to the server using a REGULAR ethernet cord.  Crossover ethernet cord is NOT required.

I then booted my computer in SAFE MODE with NETWORKING, why because I was so frustrated by this time I just did.

You will now have the server connected to the computer you are running the recovery s/w on.

Based on the number of posts I have seen lately I am assuming the original hard drives are ending there service life.  So as soon as it starts to go make sure you have at least one other drive installed with all data mirrored on it and then do a sever recover with a brand new high quality drive installed in bay one.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.