MediaVault 2120 No Longer Found on Network (721 Views)
Honor Student
temadison
Message 1 of 8 (721 Views)
Accepted Solution

MediaVault 2120 No Longer Found on Network

Actually, there are two problems that occurred simultaneously ... first, I can no longer power the unit off using the power button (I have to unplug the power cord ... I can still turn it on using the power button) ... all of the lights are blue, but neither of my computers (one a PC and the other a Mac) can find the device ... sometimes, on the PC you can get into the folders briefly (for a few seconds, then it becomes unresponsive).

Help, I'm not sure where to start ... do send the unit somewhere?  I have to believe that I can save the data at this point (I sure hope I can), but I don't know how to start ... I am somewhat technologicall savvy -- is there a way to run some diagnostics on the unit to see where the problem is?  Can softgware be reloaded onto the unit somehow?  Is this a problem with the harddrive vs. the unit?

Please help.

Thanks,

Tom

Honor Student
sksmith4011
Message 2 of 8 (679 Views)

Re: MediaVault 2120 No Longer Found on Network

Hi Tom

I have exactly the same problem as you described.

Were you able to resolve it?

Steve

Honor Student
temadison
Message 3 of 8 (665 Views)

Unfortunately I have not fixed the problem as of yet ... I was out of work and unable to afford to get it looked at ... now that I am back amongst the employed, I plan to either send it in or have someone local take a look.  I don't suspect that it's anything major (as in, I expect that the data is recoverable), but I don't have the skills to fix it myself.  If I manage to get it fixed, I will post a reply explaining the details of what the cause was and how to resolve the problem.  Good luck to you, Tom

Honor Student
sksmith4011
Message 4 of 8 (645 Views)

Thanks Tom

Good luck!

If I figure it out first I'll let you know.

Steve

Tutor
Smays803
Message 5 of 8 (407 Views)

I too am having the same problem. After more than two years, my MV2120 won't power off using the power button, is available on the network after reboot for a bit but then cannot be found anywhere. Was anyone able to get their unit back online?  Scott

Tutor
Smays803
Message 6 of 8 (397 Views)

I was able to get my MV back up and running. I tried not to take the scatter shot approach and what appears to have fixed the problem was to remove and replace the battery on the motherboard.

I can only hypothesize that removing the battery reset something on the board that had been failing. It's only been 14 hours, but so far so good.

Honor Student
temadison
Message 7 of 8 (381 Views)

Dude, I want to thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread.  I tried what you said (replace the battery on the card) and it worked!  I can't believe it was such a little thing ... and I'm annoyed that there is no clear instruction from HP that there is even a battery on the card ... I mean, who does that?  For those with the same problem, it's a snap to replace -- it's just one of those small round batteries (CR 2032).  It's easy to open the machine (pull out the top drive bay, unscrew four small screws on the front plate below the drive bay, slide the card out just slightly and pop out the battery and put in the new one).  You'll be back up and running in minutes.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Tutor
Smays803
Message 8 of 8 (369 Views)

It might seem strange to have a battery on the motherboard, but it's actually fairly common to use batteries on various boards for a variety of purposes. I theorize that this battery helps keep the clock running through power interruptions. All that said, I'm happy to hear that your problem is fixed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation