PL5060N 50" Plasma TV will not power on. Power-cycles On/Off/On/Off, etc when plugged in. (713 Views)
Honor Student
JimHarvey1
Message 1 of 4 (713 Views)

PL5060N 50" Plasma TV will not power on. Power-cycles On/Off/On/Off, etc when plugged in.

My wife and I were watching TV one night and as usual, the TV was working fine.  Perfect picture.  Great sound through the Bose Cinemate sound system.  Then there was a loud "CLICK" from the back of the set and the picture rapidly (however not instantaneously) developed heavy pixelation.  I turned the TV off and then back on.  The picture (and sound) came back appearing normal at first but I noticed what appeared to be a pixelation in the background of the screen (if that makes any sense) that appeared when a character or object moved to the left or right.  I tried again to shut off the TV and turn it back on, however this time it did not come back in.  The power relay (or whatever it is that clicks when you push the "On/Off" button either on the remote or the set) will click and the pilot lamp will turn color like it is going to come on, but then it cycles off...then back on...and off, until the power cord is disconnected.  I let the set rest (unplugged) overnight and attempted to plug the cord back in.  When I did, the set began the power-cycling routine again, never coming on or getting any display on the screen.

My question is for any techies out there, based on just my description, and given that the set is a 6 year-old 1080i plasma, is the set is worth attempting to fix or would fixing it be more expensive than the cost of a new set (which is far less than what I paid for this set 6 years ago)?  The picture was beautiful prior to it acting up.

Student
jtidwell1111
Message 2 of 4 (634 Views)

Re: PL5060N 50" Plasma TV will not power on. Power-cycles On/Off/On/Off, etc when plugged in.

I am having the same problem! any fix????
Student
MetzFitz
Message 3 of 4 (226 Views)

Re: PL5060N 50" Plasma TV will not power on. Power-cycles On/Off/On/Off, etc when plugged in.

We're having the same problem.  We know the TV is old, but we'd rather not have to buy a new one if there is some kind of fix.

Honor Student
JimHarvey1
Message 4 of 4 (217 Views)

Actually, folks...I had given up on the TV and went out and bought a 60" plasma (Samsung) and intended on trashing the old one.  My son  said he'd take it and get it fixed if he could have it.  So, I gave it to him.  He brought it to a TV repair shop and they changed out a power supply board or something and he has it in his house rght now working almost like new.  There are  a few pixels out on the screen but everything else is working fine.  If I recall, it wasn't that expensive to fix.  Cheaper than a new TV, even at today's reduced prices.  Good luck.  Wish  could have been a little more help.

Jim

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation