HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
04-10-2012 09:14 AM
I recently upgraded my Mac to OS 10.6.8. from 10.5. My Scanjet 5590 no longer works. I receive a "scanner could not be initialized" message. I have made the following changes to my computer:
1. I uninstalled all HP software in my computer.
2. Reinstalled the software from the CD
3. Restarted the computer
4. Updated my scanner software for 10.6 from the HP website
5. Restarted my computer
I continue to receive the message "scanner could not be initialized".
04-13-2012 10:21 AM
Sounds like you have old software. Let's uninstall with the 'scrubber option' like this:
1. Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller and click Continue
2. Highlight your device on the left pane
3. Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
4. There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
5. Click Continue and let it finish
Now, run a Software Update. This can be done by clicking the Apple in the top left of the screen then clicking Software Updates.
FInally, download and install the software from HP Scanjet Full Feature Software and Drivers for Mac OS X v10.6
Let me know how this works for you!
04-16-2012 02:09 PM
Thanks for your advice. Following your directions, my scanner will respond to HP Scan. HP Image Zone remains unresponsive (not initialized). At least I can use my scanner again, so thanks.