Question

Honor Student
Hmart26
Message 1 of 12 (33,271 Views)

Trouble with new HP USB v125w 8GB Flash Drive

Hello,

I got a new HP USB v125w 8GB Flash Drive from Staples. I plug the drive in and the icon appears on my desktop, however when I drag files into the drive I get an error message stating that the "HP USB v125w" can not be modified. I am running MAC OS 10.5.4 which should work.

Thank you.  

Student
oldseagull
Message 2 of 12 (32,992 Views)

Re: Trouble with new HP USB v125w 8GB Flash Drive

Thank you for posting your experience.  I bought the same flash drive from local Staples yesterday, Oct 11, 2009 - tried it today and . . . it works with my seven year old DELL desktop using Windows XP but WILL NOT WORK on my MacBook Pro using 10.5.8.  I will be returning it to the store. 

MacBook shows it on System Profiler, but it will not work - checked HP website and they state that they do not support flash drive problems - that's up to them.

Thanks again for your info! 

JohnC 

Tutor
ru1two
Message 3 of 12 (32,918 Views)

I purchased two HP USB Flash Drive v125w 4GB from Staples today Oct 14, 2009.   It says on the back packaging that it is Windows and Mac compatible, Mac OS: 10.3 or later.  I am using Mac OS 10.5 on my laptop and Mac OS 10.6 on my Mac Mini.

I can get it to recognize on my Mac Mini Parallel Windows XP program. 

I have had this problem before and I can not remember what we did but there is a way to get them to work.  Let me know if you figured it out yet.

Thank you

Tutor
ru1two
Message 4 of 12 (32,915 Views)

WOW.. just found the answer to my own question.. and it DID work!!

Might be formatted for PC only.

The way to fix this is to:
put it in your mac
open Disk Utility
select the drive
go to erase
select MS-DOS (FAT) as the Volume Format
and then press erase.

after that it should work in both mac and pc

Tutor
ru1two
Message 5 of 12 (32,912 Views)

I just found this fix

Might be formatted for PC only.

The way to fix this is to:
put it in your mac
open Disk Utility
select the drive
go to erase
select MS-DOS (FAT) as the Volume Format
and then press erase.

after that it should work in both mac and pc
  it worked for me.. !!!

Tutor
ru1two
Message 6 of 12 (32,367 Views)

OK.. I knew it was too good to be true.... ;-(

I did the "fix" but now my Flash Drive only works on my Mac.  I can not transfer to a Windows machine.  What is wrong with these Flash Drives?  I have not had this problem with other Flash Drive brands.  Any suggestions?

Tutor
ru1two
Message 7 of 12 (32,364 Views)

NOW I FINALLY FOUND THE FIX... AND IT WORKS ON BOTH MAC AND WINDOWS!

I finally found this.  Apparently is it due to Snow Leopard?

use disk utility and click on the "Partition" tab, then choose 1 Partition for "Volume Scheme" then under options just below select "Master Boot Record" and "MS-DOS(FAT)" for format and click "Apply".

Honor Student
sijo
Message 8 of 12 (25,315 Views)

my 8gb usb drive is not showing drive please help urgent

Top Student
karattop
Message 9 of 12 (23,646 Views)

Mine died after 4 months.  v125w does not appear on the HP site.  Cannot get website support.  Tried fill out the web form.  I entered the only number found on the product for the SN but it said I needed a valid serial number.  It showed that my product was a flash drive, but gave me a graphic of a camera when I clicked "Where do I find the serial number?"  Tried every support number for HP that I can find - get the runaround and even more support numbers that don't support the product.  One even gave me the ProCurve number, and then said they didn't know what ProCurve was.  I've noted several other reviews that said the product dies after 1 day to 6 months.  It's junk, and you can't make a claim on the 24 month warranty.

Student
ThatHelper34
Message 10 of 12 (15,979 Views)

Maybe you should try reading the directions and if that dosn't work reply and I'll give you another idea.::womanhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation